• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.5 grendel help

libertysteeth

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
46   0
Reaction score
I have built a 6.5 grendel upper. The problem I'm having is that the bolt seems a little tight in the barrel lugs. The lugs seem to be cut kind of sharp. They have burrs on the edges. What is a good way to remove the burrs? Also hoping I could find someone that could check the headspace.

Who made the bolt? It is possible to have the bolt fitted to the barrel (extension), could you have possibly gotten an oversized gunsmith fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe. I don't believe so. It is an anderson barrel and an odin bolt. The head space seems ok. I would still like to check it. It just seems gritty on open and close when the bolt is turning. With no carrier the bolt slides flush and extracts fine. I didnt spend extra on premium parts because the intention was to be a low volume hunting upper. Should have just spent the extra.

Also, your barrel maybe a Type 1 which will be a depth of .125 and your bolt maybe a Type 2 which is .136 depth of the lugs.
You need to confirm what your barrel is and that your bolt matches up to the same specs. I believe the Odin Works is a Type 2, which is preferred.

Not raining on any information offered, but you assembled something that is holding 50kpsi in the chamber. Don't take information from here or Facebook if uncertain, a trained, licensed gunsmith needs to check it for you. Forums are great for symptoms and diagnosis, but have a pro check it and make it right. Just my .02¢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's definately a type 2 bolt and barrel. I won't be firing it till I check the head spacing. I understand the danger involved and appreciate your concern. I'm not in a big hurry. I will either buy/rent the proper gauges and reemer or pay someone to do it. In the mean time I wanted to know how to remove those nasty edges from the barrel lugs. I also suspect odin may have over coated the bolt and carrier. Won't know until I clean those lugs up. I was hoping someone around here had already invested in the tools for 6.5 grendel and I could give them some of their money back for it. A gun smith is fine but finding one that has 6.5 tools near me may not be easy and I hate driving if traffic is involved.

Back
Top Bottom