• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.55 x55

mhayes

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
Got a question about this caliber. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, please move if so.
What is the ballistics of a swwedish 6.5x55? what other caliber is it closest to? 270-260? What is ya'lls pro's and con's of it?

Thanks,

Closest to .260. Depends on who makes the ammo as to how much difference there is. Very close with most ammo, but not quite as much power as the .260. I don't see any cons to it for deer. The rifle it comes in would be the issue.

6.5X55 is a really great caliber. One of my favorites. The 6.5 bullets available offer some great ballistic coefficients as they are very aerodynamic. The Swedes (Along with the Norwegians) really developed a winner here. A flat shooter that offers low recoil, high accuracy and good knockdown power. If you don't like the Rem 700, let me know...

I've got a customized Model 96 Swed in the 6.5X55 and I have to say I absolutely love it. It is certainly not the most powerful cartridge out there but it will get the job done without the bone jaring recoil of the super magnums. This cartridge has turned out to be perhaps my favorite all time cartridge to shoot and hunt with. I am a real fan of the 6.5 X 55!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the others, my favorite caliber. I have three, all custom builds. Two real good gunsmith builds and one cheap Kimber of America, they all out shoot me. For whitetails I think they are perfect. Little recoil, very, very accurate.

The 6.5x55 is a great cartridge as is, but in that Remington 700 you can load it up to higher pressure and make it go beyond a 260 in performance. Loaded at book maximum it just about duplicates a 260. Great, great cartridge. I love it because it duplicates a 260 with less pressure. What more could one want? I also compare it to the comparison of a 7x57 and 7-08. The 7x57 duplicates the performance of a 8-08, but at less pressure. I really don't understand why the 260 and 7-08 are here, when the 6.5x55 and 7x57 do the same or better. I know, the parent case, 308 is the reason. Wallacem in Georgia

I think chuck hawkes, the hunters life, or someone similar had an article comparing it with the 7mm-08, as I recall they were nearly equal and the swede surpassed the 7mm-08 at the 300 yd mark. The article stated there was really no practical difference beteen them. I have two a ruger 77 and a sako 75. I sure would like to add a remington to the collection someday.

Back
Top Bottom