• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.8 spc

montana bob

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
20   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone out there load for the 6.8 SPC. If so, what rifle do you shoot it out of and what kind kind of load data do you use and what accuracy are you getting?

I have a Stag Model 5. It's a Spec II 1 in 11". I've been very pleased with H 322 for my powder. I've always been a believer in the Sierra line of bullets, and their 110 Pro Hunter has performed unbelievably well in mine. I'm loading 29.0 grains and getting sub moa groups @ 100 yds. I know there's several loading the Barnes 85 grain bullets getting velocities in the 3000 fps range. I haven't experimented with the Barnes, I like to shoot and I can't make myself pay Barnes prices. I'm not knocking the Barnes, like I said, I just can't see the price difference between the Sierra and the Barnes. I will also add that mine doesn't seem to like the Hornady Vmax nearly as well as the Sierras'. It's a great round. I believe the 6.8 is the perfect marriage of caliber to platform in the AR 15. I also have a 450 Bushmaster. It's a lot of fun, but the 6.8 is the round to have in the AR 15 for deer sized game.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuckdog, I appreciate the info.I just bought a used Rem 700 in the Bell and Carlson stock and the fluted barrel it looks to shot very little. It was to good a deal to pass up. I load for a lot of differant calibers but have never really considered the 6.8 but I believe if I can get a good load worked up in the next couple of weeks It will probably be my deer rifle this year.

I'd like to see more bolt rifles in the 6.8. Remington has chosen to market more toward the M&P market and really neglected the hunting market. I know they offered it for a short time in one of the more pricey Model Seven variations, but if they'd market an SPS with a barrel between 18" and 22" priced in the $550.00 range I think it would catch on. Ruger is marketing their Compact in it, which is a great little package, but what about the ones of us that like a standard length of pull? I own two Ompact Rugers, one .243 the other in 7-08. I got them for my Grandchildren and Wife, and I love them. They are two of the most accurate 77s' I've ever owned. I'd like to have an RL in the 6.8. One thing I would note on the 700 you have, it's probably a Spec I chamber, so approach max loads with caution. If it shows promise, I'd probably look at getting it updated to the Spec II chamber dimensions. This will allow you to get the most out of the 26" barrel your 700 likely wears. Come to think of it, I'd probably look into shortening the barrel down to about 20" too. If you decide against it and want to let someone else fool with it, please let me know. Sounds like I may have just talked myself into my next "money pit", I meant to type "my next project". Good luck and enjoy. Shoot us up some pics. Do you have any particular intentions for it, target, deer, etc? Yea I'm nosey, but you've piqued my interest with your new toy. Thanks Chuckdog.

Last edited:
Chuckdog, the barrel is actually 22" it is a model 700 not 7. From my understanding they made this gun in a 308, 7-08 and 6.8.Maybe more but I haven't done any research yet. I believe it is is considered to be a light tactical rifle. It has double studs in the front and a lighter contour fluted barrel. I need to pop a scope off something and drop it on this rifle. A good cleaning first though.I'm also going to bed the action. I used to own a gun shop with a guy who built custom rifles and I did all the bedding so it's not my first. If you will drop me an email address I'll forward a picture on to you. I need to learn how to submit pictures on here.My intentions as of now are to deer hunt with it.I have a couple custom target guns and an LTR in 308 that's as accurate as my target guns and a little 223 sps tactical that I wouldn't sell for anything. I have plenty to shoot target with and as a matter of fact I have plenty to hunt with also. That gets to me to asking myself, Why did I by this thing.I think all you guys know the answer to that question!

Last edited:
I've got an LMT MRP in 6.8 that I'm just starting to work up some loads. I've got some SSA brass and just got a few hundred Sierra 110 and 115gr bullets, and a box of 90gr TNT's. My barrel's been "upgraded" to the SPCII chamber, but that's about it. hopefully will build up some loads to try out soon.

When I purchased my rifle I also bought a box of remington in 115 gr and hornady in 110 grain just until I ordered a set of dies and brass. The Hornady have small rifle primers and the Remington have large rifle primers. I saw in a Graf catalog that Lapua is making 308 brass in small rifle rifle primers now to get better performance. Any word on what type of brass your shooting? Remington or Hornady. I need to order brass but not sure if I want large primer pocketed brass or small. It seems you would get better ignition with large or even a small magnum.

The logic on the different primers as I understand it has to do with loading to higher pressures. The small rifle primers allow more brass in the base of course, so you should have a stronger case. I don't load anything that hot, especially in bottleneck rifle cases, so it's a non issue with me. To me the Hornady brass is just too damn expensive to use in a self loader. The odds of losing it or it being damaged is too great. I do however use the Silver State brand brass. It too uses the small rifle primer for high pressure loads. It's normally priced about the same as the Remington, and people that do load high pressure loads swear it'll hold up to a bunch of em'. I have some Remington brass that's been loaded 5 times and it's still in perfect working condition. A lot of people cuss remington components, but they seem to work well for me. I do load premium Lapua Match in some rifles, but not generally in a hunting rifle or everyday self loader. I'm uploading those pics. of your rifle.

View attachment 10223 View attachment 10221
View attachment 10224 View attachment 10222

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom