• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

600 yard question

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Can an ordinary deer rifle in a caliber like .308 (or .30-06, or 7mm-08, .270, etc.) wearing an ordinary deer rifle scope (1" tube, 3x-9x variable power, 40 mm front lens) be zeroed to hit dead-on at 600 yards?

What about coming close to zero, but having to hold "Kentucky elevation" a few feet above the target?

I tried to research this online, but I am not finding much info on the range of adjustment motion for ordinary hunting scopes. Is a total of 80 MOA a reasonable ballpark figure for most scopes from most makers, built over the last 30 years? That would mean once you mount it and zero it at a normal range of maybe 100 yards, you can still go UP another 40 MOA, or 160 clicks. ThaT should get you zero at 600 yards. Does that sound reasonable?

Can an ordinary deer rifle in a caliber like .308 (or .30-06, or 7mm-08, .270, etc.) wearing an ordinary deer rifle scope (1" tube, 3x-9x variable power, 40 mm front lens) be zeroed to hit dead-on at 600 yards?

What about coming close to zero, but having to hold "Kentucky elevation" a few feet above the target?

I tried to research this online, but I am not finding much info on the range of adjustment motion for ordinary hunting scopes. Is a total of 80 MOA a reasonable ballpark figure for most scopes from most makers, built over the last 30 years? That would mean once you mount it and zero it at a normal range of maybe 100 yards, you can still go UP another 40 MOA, or about 5 feet at 600 yards. Does that sound reasonable?
Go to CMP and test it out. It would be fun to do our own range report. :)

I tried it once, 20 years ago, with two very accurate (at 100 yards) bolt action hunting guns.
A Weatherby Mark V in .30-06, using 180-grain soft point ammo, and a Ruger 77 bolt gun in .223 using boat-tail ballistic-tip handloads, I think 62 grain.

Both guns could NOT be zeroed at 600 yards, even turning the scope elevation up--- either to its end of movement OR maybe I stopped after 2 full rotations, afraid to go any further. Afraid I might break something internally.

I had to aim at the top of the target frame (cardboard and wood) to get beach-ball sized groups just below the aiming bull.

But... I'd like to try it again. I have different rifles now. Maybe I'd get different results?

Is there any risk of damage to a rifle scope if you turn it to the very end of its range of motion? Assuming I feel it stop there and don't try to muscle it to get that one last click of elevation...?

Raise your scope over bore height and use an angled base. It can be done with a modern scope with a range of adjustment that will allow it. 86" bullet drop (168 gr SMK at 2600 fps) at 600 yards is 14.3 MOA or about 57 - 58 click on a 1/4 minute scope. Use a short near zero.

Back
Top Bottom