• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

7.62x39 ARs

GTSteve03

Default rank <500 posts
Trigger Warning
83   1
Reaction score
Who's bought or built an AR in the Commie classic round? I've heard they're temperamental and hard on bolts.

Just wanted to get an idea on if I should try building one for kicks or if it's not worth the trouble.

Haven't owned one and it's probably a superficial quirk of mine but they ha e butt ugly mags that are pricey compared to 5.56 mags. So if I were try have one I would need it to be that CMMG Mutant that uses AK mags.
But again I haven't owned one so I can't comment on reliability.

Just buy an AK. I mean that sincerely. Only 7.62x39 AR's that are decent are not even true AR's like the Mutant 47, and other models. Do not waste your time with an actual AR in 7.62x39

I have had two. One wasn't worth S#!$, it would jam all the time on the feed ramps or the mags, changed the barrel to 5.56. The other works great except you can't fill the mags up with as many round as their capacity or you will get a failure to feed. It work great with about 75% full mags. I haven't shot it enough to say how the bolts hold up.

Between a couple AR-47's, I have had zero issues so far. Magazines are definitely on the more expensive side, but not a huge deal IMO. Have been using ASC magazines only, as I have heard they are the most reliable. Indeed, they have proven to be reliable, fully loaded and everything. All the ammo I've shot has either been Wolf or Tula and everything has been 100% reliable. I don't know about long term wear yet, as I have only been out shooting a couple times in the past couple of years.
If you have a bunch of AKs already and ARs in 5.56 and other stuff, costs are low, you already have a bunch of 7.62x39 laying around, and you're just doing it for kicks, might as well give it a try. I'm in the minority here, but whatever.
20170310_155202_LI.jpg

I've had one since the mid 90's. Took it hunting many years and killed a lot of deer with it. Mine was set up as a full A2 rifle with 20" barrel and I put a scope on the carry handle. Only issues I have had with jams come from using HP ammo almost exclusively and getting hung on lugs. My mags are pre Y2K, so I can't respond on the newer stuff. They are like any other AR platform; there are trade offs from the bigger round.

I have a 16" rifle and a 7.5" pistol in 7,62x39. Both are "budget" builds using various parts from whoever was cheapest at the time of ordering. Took a bit of tinkering to get them running, but are like good to go once getting all the kinks worked out. Only down side is cost of magazines, but cost of ammo makes up for that.

Back
Top Bottom