• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

7.62x54r upgrade

Interested to see how this goes...While not premium ammunition by any stretch of the imagination (actually cheap) I use the Barnaul 203gr SP for hunting with very good results. It shoots pretty accurately with it. I have never went out on paper to see how it truly performs, I just know I can hit a milk jug out to 200 yards with it with Iron sights every time, so its good enough for me. Oh and the deer just fall over like your shooting steel or something...lol

OK I went out to Charlie Elliot today and tried the upgraded ammo. It shot as well as the surplus FMJs and the Monarch brand from Academy Sports. I rethought my original plan and nixed the 168s and instead I substituted 150GR Nosler partition gold molys in 10- 152GR surplus rounds keeping 10 as a control. These bullets were a nice snug fit in the case and shot 5 shot groups of about 2 1/2" at about 75 yards. Same as the surplus control rounds.
I also took down some Monarch brand 184gr FMJ and replaced the bullet with some 180gr Accubonds. Again saving half for a control specimen.These were a little looser fit in the cases so I crimped the case neck very slightly to hold em. Again I got the same results of about 2 1/2" at 75 yards. I'm sure the velocity is there and the accuracy worked out fine.
With multiple very accurate deer rifles in my collection I'm not sure I'll ever actually use em on a deer but It's nice to know it works well. The 2-4 thousandths in smaller bullet diameter doesn't seem to keep them from engaging the rifling and flying true.

Anyone who's thinking about doing this I would as was mentioned by others earlier in this thread make darn sure to swap a like weighted bullet. I almost assumed and didn't check even though I know better. Failure to do so could be very bad.

Back
Top Bottom