• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

7mm-08 Go/No Go Gauges

If the case shoulder height is the issue, it could be checked by chambering the empty case before reloading it.

I’m going to try that today.

7mm-08 Ammo or Brass is unobtainable right now in LGS.

I purchased Norma loaded ammo for a baseline but it’s in Austell at the FedEx facility & in God’s hands as to if I’ll ever get it.

Seems the ol’ Austell Fedex has become internet famous for packages never leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have edited my first post a couple of times, because the drawing in the Hornady book have different measurements used on the 260 than on the 308/7mm-08/243. The 260 shoulder is measured from the base; the other 308 based cartridges are measured from above the extractor groove.

I think you may have to push the shoulder back more when using 260 brass.

It’s confusing how they show the .260 for sure. The others aren’t measured with the case head included but for whatever reason the case head is included in the .260 measurement. (Likely because that’s an easier measurement to obtain.)

I wish they would use consistent reference points.

You could take a magic marker, draw some vertical lines from the base to the tip, then try to chamber the cartridge and see where the lines are rubbed off.

You could take a magic marker, draw some vertical lines from the base to the tip, then try to chamber the cartridge and see where the lines are rubbed off.

I colored the whole bullet & the neck of a loaded round: I didn’t see any real differences.

On another note, I tried to chamber the empty Lock N Load case: same thing.

The bolt wouldn’t close on an empty 7mm-08 case.
aa10df9041722a4b9304b810edbea272.jpg

Left to Right-
.260 Remington Nosler Case.
7mm-08 LNL case
Resized .260 Nosler case loaded with the 150 Hornady
Resized .308 Winchester case.
.308 Winchester case

The line on the loaded case at the neck body junction is the case lube. I should have wiped that off.

Try the marker all the way from bullet tip to base, and try to chamber. It should knock the marker off somewhere, but it is sounding like the chamber may be incorrect.If you have any 260, or 243, you could check to see if it will chamber……to just as reference. Maybe even measure the muzzle end of the bore, just to ensure that the correct barrel is on the gun.

If you are in Carrollton: Specialized Firearms, located on the Southwest Side of the bypass, may have the head space guages.

Back
Top Bottom