• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

7mm international rimmed

fifthhorsm

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
0   0
Reaction score
awhile back I picked up a Pachmayr dominator in 7mm international rimmed.... have finally rounded up dies, cases, neck reamer etc..... any of you have any actual experience in loading this caliber, curious what bullet weights and powder worked out best for you. should make a fun deer pistol with the expected sub moa accuracy. the power would make it good to about 150 yards for deer sized game.
thanks for any help

This used to be a pretty popular IHMSA Big Bore chambering. I think that with 120 grain or 140 grain ballistic tips, it will be a great whitetail handgun.

If you can find one of the older Hornady manuals, it will have some good information on the 7mm IR.

I found my old Hornady Manual (4th Edition) and it has data for 100 grain bullets, 139 grain bullets and 154 grain bullets. Their test gun was a 10" barreled TC Contender, so the velocities should be in line with your handgun.

Just let me know if you would like any specific info for one of those bullet weights.

steelringer,
your last post answered what I was going to ask.... which ed..... thanks so much, I never dreamed it ever had enough following to be in any of the old manuals. needless to say I never bothered to check my old manuals duh! I picked up the dominator just to have another of them..... been shooting one in .308 for better than 30 years and love it. me shooting the 7mm international rimmed is really just a whim. I hope the recoil and noise is a little tamer than the .308... it's the only pistol I've ever shot that requires a good shooting glove as well as ear plugs under a good set of muffs.
anyway thank you very much

I think that you are going to really enjoy shooting the 7IR. I have a 7-30 Waters which is a bit more powerful than then 7IR and it is a dream to shoot. I have also fired some bolt handguns in 7mm IHMSA, which is the 7IR's little brother. It too, is a good shooter. That 7IR will be great with 120 grain bullets out to 200+ yards.

Back
Top Bottom