• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

7mm mag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a load for the 120g, I've had good success using Sierras' recommended loads. Just curious, are you loading these for whitetail? I've never loaded anything that light in a 7 mag. I really like the Sierra bullets though. I'm loading the 140 in a 16.5" Ruger Compact 7-08 and getting consistant 3 shot groups under .400". I load the 7 mag for a friend and he likes the heavy bullets. The reason I asked about loading the 120 for deer is bullet integrity. I know the 120 would have to be screaming out of a 7 mag, and was curious if you have any idea as to how well the 120 will hold together at those velocities? As I said, I'm only asking, because I don't know. At close range will it stay together on impact? If you're bean field hunting it doesn't matter. I was just curious if you had any info on how that particular bullet behaves @ hyper velocities? Thanks' Chuckdog.

well my uncle did load 120s for his 7 mag a few years back, but when he sold it he let all of his reloading notes and info go with it. he loved the 120s for deer because of less recoil and screaming speed he told me. his bullets always held together, weather it was 50yds or 300yds. he never had a problem out of them. i made several test loads of my own for 139sst, 140sp, 175gr spitzers, and realized REAL quick that 175 is to much for deer(and my shoulder), and i load the 139s in my 7-30 waters and dont want to waste them on the 7mag just for testing. the rifle im shooting is an old tang safty M77 Ruger that i had my gunsmith overhaul for my and now it looks new. it used to be my dads and he always shot 120s and 140s. i just dont like factory ammo and would rather load my own.

Here are the highest velocity loads using common powder in the 5th Edition Sierra manual. Please remember to double check me on this, because I'm a man and subject to make mistakes. (Especially according to my wife) No, check em anyway.

1: H 4831SC Start load:62.6g. Max: 70.6 @ 3400 fps
2: IMR 4831 Start load:61.8g. Max: 70.8 @ 3500 fps
3: H 4350 Start load:58.4g. Max: 67.9 @ 3450 fps

The recommended hunting load is the 70.6 grains of H 4831SC @ 3400.

I use a lot of the RL 22 with the heavier bullets, but I've always gotten very good result with the H 4831 SC. I use it in everything from .243 to 300 Win. Mag. It's a versatile powder that meters a lot better than the standard length stuff. I hope this is helpful. Good luck, Chuckdog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom