• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

7mm wsm opinions

quikstang347

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
184   0
Reaction score
Ok guys, never had a wsm rifle before, so this one is new and what are the opinions on this round. Recently bought got a nice Winchester and took it out today to check the zero at several different ranges from 100 yd out to 760 yds rifle could have easily gone further but the scope limited me. The gun shot very flat and had the expected recoil nothing like my 300rum or 338wm it was easy to handle and shot very well. It's a Winchester model 70 24" barrel everything functioned well.
My question is how is this round and what is the positives and negatives of having the wsm. Although the rifle seemed to do well I don't get what the benefit of the wsm is. It is more expensive and not as available. Trying to come up with a reason to keep this rifle over getting a different rifle with a more conventional cartridge

I like the idea of the short throw bolt. It's just a 7mm in a short action version. You may give up a little but I would think it would be very close. It just a shorter, fatter round than the conventional 7mm in a long action. In a 26 inch barrel you are only giving up 80 fps. to the 7mm Remington Magnum. So really it's almost the same. With the main reason for the WSM would be accuracy do the reduction of recoil anticipation. From what I hear it's a substantial reduction in recoil.

I like the idea of the short throw bolt. It's just a 7mm in a short action version. You may give up a little but I would think it would be very close. It just a shorter, fatter round than the conventional 7mm in a long action. In a 26 inch barrel you are only giving up 80 fps. to the 7mm Remington Magnum. So really it's almost the same. With the main reason for the WSM would be accuracy do the reduction of recoil anticipation. From what I hear it's a substantial reduction in recoil.

It didn't have much recoil at all. Shot very well was actually more accurate than a standard 7 mag and had noticeable lighter weight than a similar outfitted 7 mag or 300wm. The biggest difference I seen was weight Lighter recoil and tighter groups. This may be my deer gun this year. Have to shoot it some more to verify.

I do agree with your accuracy claims. Sometimes giving up a few fps. is a good thing. I have read and heard that out to 700 yards the 7mm WSM is the more accurate round. So yes it would make a great medium and large game round. If you ever dicided to skip out to the plains for antelope you would be covered there as well. 700 yards is a looooong shot but that gun would be the one to do it with. Also I would imagine it would not destroy as much meat either. I would go for it and cap it off with an extremely good optic and you would have a fine long range, extremely accurate hunting rifle. It all sounds good to me.

I believe shotgun 01 shotgun 01 has one he seems to like. He may have some comments.
Yes, I do. It has been my main hunting rifle for the last six or seven years. Mine is a stainless Model 70 in a B & C stock. I've actually had deer go straight to the ground, with their feet still in their tracks. It is devastating with the Winchester 150 grain Max Bond rounds, or a 140 grain Accubond hand load.

The entire WSM are just as good as the standard calibers in most all circumstances, that's one reason that I really never understood the need for more rifle calibers that do the same basic thing?
you can make arguments one way or the other depending on barrel length, projectile weight, powder types but really nothing of a great improvement.
heck if you like them then shoot them.
ammo is harder to locate, usually a bit more expensive and again no real gains. marketing idea and trying to make a name for the company.

Back
Top Bottom