• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

88 chevy c1500 radiator killed itself

chucklenut

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
362   0
Reaction score
yup, driving down the road, check gauges light came on.....i think "wtf" then notice temp is damn near in red.pull over, exit vehicle, yup, coolant/water is splashing the ground not sure if its coming out the drain plug or is a crack

what do?

well, probably new radiator unless the plug was just loose somehow. what causes bad radiator? possibly bad themrostat? should i go ahead and replace both, or 1 then the other?

Check the line to the overflow tank. If it stops up, your coolant pressure is no longer regulated by the cap pressure setting.

I split a rad seam because of that

The plastic side tanks on those were prone to crack and leak (I know first hand). I bought a new one from Marietta Radiator for around $100 bucks a few months ago. Easy to change out if you end up having to replace it. And if the hoses are old then no better time than now to replace those as well.

Corrosion. Antifreeze and water are a tad corrosive. One of my employees had a radiator die on him Friday morning. It was a 1990 Toyota four runner. All metal radiator. Ordered one from Oreally and it was the wrong radiator. Got one from Advance an hour away and it fit however it immediately started pissing. A new radiator with a hole in it. His four runner is still sitting at a gas station.

so i inspected the drain plug; was loose and since its plastic on plastic it wont seat properly (wont tighten down). im guessing the thermostat went and caused pressure to build up in radiator and it failed at its weakest point

might redo the hoses too while im at it, for sure the ring clamps are getting redid. we will see

Corrosion. Antifreeze and water are a tad corrosive. One of my employees had a radiator die on him Friday morning. It was a 1990 Toyota four runner. All metal radiator. Ordered one from Oreally and it was the wrong radiator. Got one from Advance an hour away and it fit however it immediately started pissing. A new radiator with a hole in it. His four runner is still sitting at a gas station.
damn that sucks

i had to eat a tow cost last night because i cant leave anything overnight in this town without some piece of **** doing something to it

so i inspected the drain plug; was loose and since its plastic on plastic it wont seat properly (wont tighten down). im guessing the thermostat went and caused pressure to build up in radiator and it failed at its weakest point.

check 100radiAtor. They sell a kit with everything you need including hose clamps,hoses,rad,and tstat

might redo the hoses too while im at it, for sure the ring clamps are getting redid. we will see

Back
Top Bottom