• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

8mm Mauser ???

Tactical Mad Dawg

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
191   0
Reaction score
Need a little help. Buddy of mine is wanting to sale his German Mauser. The stock looks different amd I believe someone murdered the rifle and put a different stock on it. Does this look like a K98 that has been sporterized? I have only seen it in this pic and not in person so I have not looked at the stamps on it yet. Thanks for any wisdom.

Attachments

• IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 58
Yeah that looks like a German inspired Mauser K 98 to me. Standard bolt action rifle of German infantry all through the 1930s and World War II .
Other countries produce rifles nearly identical to these, such as Spanish Mausers Portuguese Mausers, FN Mausers made in Belgium, Turkish MauserS ( which were imported into America about 20 years ago very very cheap.)

The rifle is very likely to be 8 x 57 chambering, which is also known as 7.92 x 57 mm.

Some foreign country is made Mausers in smaller caliber such a 7 mm, but 8mm is more common.

Has anything been sporterized other than the stock??

Once you find out what type of Mauser it is you can find out about getting an original replacement stock (WWII surplus) or a reproduction authentic-looking replacement stock.

10 years ago I used an old K98 Mauser rifle stock to make a toy gun for my great nephew using a black painted wooden dowel for the barrel and attaching a cheap $8 pellet gun scope to it. At the time, you could buy a used dinged up World War II surplus Mauser rifle stock for about $25.
But today it looks like they're quite a bit more expensive especially if they come with all the required pieces in the metal hardware parts.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get my hands on it and look at the stamps on it. I know everyone has there own taste, but old school rifle need to left in their old school stocks IMHO.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get my hands on it and look at the stamps on it. I know everyone has there own taste, but old school rifle need to left in their old school stocks IMHO.

Completely agree. Its a shame great rifles were brought back and made for the deer stand, but I've heard many were. Maybe its a good shooter though if it is/was a K98.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom