• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

8mm Mauser ???

An unmodified Mauser is a testament to military history in Europe.

A sporterized Mauser, or any other mil-surp, is a testament to American ingenuity and the popularity of surplus guns among the sportsmen (hunters and target shooters) in the USA in the postwar years.

The "historical value" has not been diminished. It's just telling the history of a different time period and a different group of people.

I had a Turkish Mauser in 8mm that had been sporterized commercially. They were a common item at Sears and such retail outlets. I have since then been advised that as a shooter the Turkish Mauser may have a better fit and better finished parts than a late WWii German.

I think I paid $49.95 for it, with no sales tax. It was a well made gun, very smooth action, had iron sights, I had young eyes.

The 8 X 57 round with a soft nose lead bullet killed every deer I shot at with it. In the modern context, the round was old fashioned - big and slow, no engineered rocket science bullet. I regret that I never had the opportunity to discuss it's deficiencies with any of the deer I killed with it.

One plus was that 8mm surplus ammo was dirt cheap, and so I could practice with it, and if I can immodestly say so, became rather proficient with it. i couldn't have done that with a more "modern" round.

I never felt bad about "sporterizing" an old war horse. It's the American way. I feel worse about a Model A "rat rod". Most of the Mausers came to this country at a time when there were very few people who could buy a gun for it's "historical value" and stick it in the closet.

Back
Top Bottom