• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9/24 Hunt

I also went out this morning.
Crows made a heck of a racket in the woods.
Squirrels freaking out at them
Then all quiet.
This is when two mama does and two fawns came up together and browsed under my tree.
Didn’t have the heart to take out either of their mamas.
They came in mama and fawn then mama and fawn side by side.
The fawns were sticking close to their mamas.
Also tonight before I missed that buck I could have got a shot in a really fat raccoon that came out of the creek and walked right past the buck.
I thought the coon was going to challenge the buck they way it walked right towards him and even bowed up a little when the buck looked at him.
Pretty cool.
I was thinking this is gonna be epic if the coon challenges this buck but it never happened.

K also went out this morning.
Crows made a heck of a racket in the woods.
Squirrels freaking out at them
Then all quiet.
This is when two mama does and two fawns came up together and browsed under my tree.
Didn’t have the heart to take out either of their mamas.
They came in mama and fawn then mama and fawn side by side.
The fawns were sticking close to their mamas.
Also tonight before I missed that buck K could have got a shot in a really fat raccoon that came out of the creek and walked right past the buck.
I thought the coon was going to challenge the buck they way it walked right towards him and even bowed up a little when the buck looked at him.
Pretty cool.
I was thinking this is gonna be epic if the coon challenges this buck but it never happened.

It's been 4 years since I shot a doe. I'm starting to get those feelings too. It's hard to find a lone mature doe. I'll keep trying. You did the right thing.

I do know a certain ODT member that got a doe this evening
I got home from the lease at about 11:00. The shot was farther back and quartering more than I initially thought. Got one lung and nicked the liver.
I followed blood a ways and saw a set of eyes up ahead…..blood trail heading right to it. It was bedded on a big finger overlooking the river and I was worried that if we pushed it too soon, it might try to cross the Hooch, so I backed out and gave it a while longer. (My buddy lost one that did exactly that) After waiting patiently, it eventually expired. It was a decent sized button head. I didn’t take any pics of it.
Im not very proud of the shot or the fact that it had to suffer. I’m glad it was recovered and not spoiled or taken by coyotes though. If you do this long enough, it’s bound to happen.
938C9B14-26E5-4808-A7BA-F276A2BA9336.jpeg

I got home from the lease at about 11:00. The shot was farther back and quartering more than I initially thought. Got one lung and nicked the liver.
I followed blood a ways and saw a set of eyes up ahead…..blood trail heading right to it. It was bedded on a big finger overlooking the river and I was worried that if we pushed it too soon, it might try to cross the Hooch, so I backed out and gave it a while longer. (My buddy lost one that did exactly that) After waiting patiently, it eventually expired. It was a decent sized button head. I didn’t take any pics of it.
Im not very proud of the shot or the fact that it had to suffer. I’m glad it was recovered and not spoiled or taken by coyotes though. If you do this long enough, it’s bound to happen. View attachment 4769584
It happens about 7 years ago I was hunting with my daughter. I had a deer creep out right at dark and provide one shot opportunity. I took it. I went and found blood and backed out. Me and my friends came back an hour later to track it. We get going after the deer and find it. It was a fawn. Didn’t have spots but a fawn none the less. My daughter kept saying “That sure is a little one” and dang I was embarrassed and also kind of upset that I had shot it. Like you said, it happens. Be thankful for meat in the freezer and get that crockpot fired up.

Also good on you for not pushing it and having patience. I’ve tracked deer till 4am because of having to keep backing out and giving it another hour. Time is a hunters best friend on marginal shots.

It happens about 7 years ago I was hunting with my daughter. I had a deer creep out right at dark and provide one shot opportunity. I took it. I went and found blood and backed out. Me and my friends came back an hour later to track it. We get going after the deer and find it. It was a fawn. Didn’t have spots but a fawn none the less. My daughter kept saying “That sure is a little one” and dang I was embarrassed and also kind of upset that I had shot it. Like you said, it happens. Be thankful for meat in the freezer and get that crockpot fired up.

Also good on you for not pushing it and having patience. I’ve tracked deer till 4am because of having to keep backing out and giving it another hour. Time is a hunters best friend on marginal shots.
Thanks,
Learning the hard way when I was younger and impatient has caused me to lose a couple deer that might have otherwise been recovered.
A 100 yard recovery last night could’ve easily become an ordeal where we traversed my entire lease and might have ended up having to get neighbor’s permission to continue had I not been patient.

Back
Top Bottom