• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9 States Will Require Passports for Domestic Flights Within the U.S.

States have had 12 years to update their state license/id so that it doesn't look like it was made on a home printer, and they couldn't get it done? What's the problem?
LOL at technology in SC. I was a broker in the 1990's and our last customer in the United States for instamatic polaroid film (you know, "shake it") was the SCDoC. Every visitor to the prisons had to have a Polaroid photo taken at the entry portal.

We won't need one (if you are a GA resident). Only residents of those states are affected: Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington, and they will need one no matter where they fly to/from.
ONLY if the ID they possess is a State issued ID. Drivers Licenses meet the standard.

To repeat, if you’re going to take a flight and you have a state-issued ID from one of the states listed above, unless your state has made federally approved changes before January, it would be safest to use a passport to go anywhere across the country, as all domestic travel is included in these new standards.

If I understand correctly, your GA DL may not be completely "Real ID" compliant:

Georgia was issuing 10 year renewals for a while and if you got it renewed for 10 years before the "Real ID" requirements were being implemented by Georgia - which now issues "secure" ID's that bear a gold star in the upper right corner - your current DL may not be "Real ID" compliant.

My DL was issued in 2009; it pretty much looked like every one I ever had for decades and expires in 2019. I moved two years ago and got the address changed so it now looks like the "Real ID" compliant version but it does not have the gold star since I got the address change done online.

So if I ever want to be treated like an inmate and fly, or enter a restricted federal facility, I will need to bring my passport. Assuming that the "security" "professional" knows the difference in the Georgia DLs. I could of course, go to the DMV and "prove" that I am a citizen and renew early if I wanted.

States have had 12 years to update their state license/id so that it doesn't look like it was made on a home printer, and they couldn't get it done? What's the problem?

Before I read the article I thought they were starting something new, but yeah it has to do with the lack of requirements required to get an ID in those states.

Back
Top Bottom