• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm ammo muzzle lift comparison. 115g vs 124g v 154g (ss)

Brettly1961

Default rank <500 posts
Fortified by Time
20   0
Reaction score
Beginning thoughts: is all subsonic ammo filthy due to type of powder needed?

Just a quick down and dirty subjective comparison of felt recoil. I’ve been buying ammo from a Savannah based website Ammo shop online. Mostly Euro FMJ 9mm x 19 target rounds in various configurations.

Today I ran Norma and Geco 124 gr. vs. Ruag 154 gr subsonic vs Winchester 115 steel case and Blaser 115 g; all rounds FMJ. I’d never tried 154 gr subsonic and was curious to try.

Results: all rounds were fired from a SAR 9.
The over all subjective winner in muzzle stability was the Geco 124 g. Very good follow up shots with this.

The 154 gr subsonic was the filthiest, smokiest nastiest thing I ever fired. Not bad on muzzle lift but it polluted my face and stunk up the range and dirtied my gun.

Both brands of 115 grain 9 x19mm in the Sarsilmaz SAR 9 were a bit snappy. The SAR 9 has a short trigger reset, but the muzzle travel caused by the lighter bullet made target re-acquisition a bit more difficult.

I’m looking at staying with the 124 g for practice anyways. Seem like that’s the NATO standard. Very good repeatable shots with 124 gr. Clean too. I’d try more subsonic if it were cleaner.

Your observations are appreciated.

It’s the powder, not the bullet weight. I load 147’s over Vitavhouri N320 and it is very clean. It does smell a little like farts though. I shoot berry 135’s now. They seem to be the best compromise. 147 gr bullets seat so deep in the case that occasionally I run across brass that has a high web And it causes problems. The case will be pushed out by the bullet and not pass size checks.

Beginning thoughts: is all subsonic ammo filthy due to type of powder needed?

Just a quick down and dirty subjective comparison of felt recoil. I’ve been buying ammo from a Savannah based website Ammo shop online. Mostly Euro FMJ 9mm x 19 target rounds in various configurations.

Today I ran Norma and Geco 124 gr. vs. Ruag 154 gr subsonic vs Winchester 115 steel case and Blaser 115 g; all rounds FMJ. I’d never tried 154 gr subsonic and was curious to try.

Results: all rounds were fired from a SAR 9.
The over all subjective winner in muzzle stability was the Geco 124 g. Very good follow up shots with this.

The 154 gr subsonic was the filthiest, smokiest nastiest thing I ever fired. Not bad on muzzle lift but it polluted my face and stunk up the range and dirtied my gun.

Both brands of 115 grain 9 x19mm in the Sarsilmaz SAR 9 were a bit snappy. The SAR 9 has a short trigger reset, but the muzzle travel caused by the lighter bullet made target re-acquisition a bit more difficult.

I’m looking at staying with the 124 g for practice anyways. Seem like that’s the NATO standard. Very good repeatable shots with 124 gr. Clean too. I’d try more subsonic if it were cleaner.

Your observations are appreciated.

Is your SAR a 4” barrel?

I think I’ve read ballistics info in the past suggesting 124 or 147 grain ammo for short barrel guns as well.

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s the powder, not the bullet weight. I load 147’s over Vitavhouri N320 and it is very clean. It does smell a little like farts though. I shoot berry 135’s now. They seem to be the best compromise. 147 gr bullets seat so deep in the case that occasionally I run across brass that has a high web And it causes problems. The case will be pushed out by the bullet and not pass size checks.

Back
Top Bottom