• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm and 45 auto Subsonic loads?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
122   0
Reaction score
Anyone have any preferred loads for 9/45 thru a can?

I've got a ghost M in jail and would be shooting thru a glock 9mm and FNX 45 tactical. I have a variety of powders but figured you guys probably have "pet loads" that you have found to be "More quiet". Might pick up something like a Scorpion 9mm pistol to shoot as well if that matters.

for 9mm would be shooting 147gr mostly and for 45 would be shooting 230gr JHP.

pistol powder on hand:
titegroup
N320 (have heard this is very clean burning in 9mm subs)
trailboss
Universal
clays (lots of this)
unique
AA #7

don't mind buying something if it's very good in one caliber or the other. Anyone shooting anything heavier in the 9mm (158gr 38 special bullets?)? Yes I have a handful of loading data books, but figured some of you may have tried a variety of powders and found something that runs cleaner and maybe a bit more quiet than others. I do have a chrono so I can check speeds if needed (I know most of these bullet weights are going to be subsonic with normal loads).

TIA!

Solo 1000 is pretty quiet if you can find it.

You will want to use a fast powder, due to lower mass of load. Less mass, less noise. Also, generally, less mass=less cleaning.

My current backyard quiet loads:

9mm Xtreme 147gr with 3.2 gr Titegroup @ 1.15" COL = ~935 FPS out of Cz Scorpion 8" barrel with Obsidian 45

9mm Xtreme 165gr with 2.7 gr Titegroup @ 1.15" COL = ~805 FPS out of Cz Scorpion 8" barrel with Obsidian 45

Both of these loads sound very similar to my ears, and equally quiet as FM hush ammo, for less than half the price.

Fiocchi 158 gr 9mm out of Cz Scorpion 8" barrel runs ~920 FPS, but a little bit louder than the above loads.

I want to add a word of caution regarding light loads. I load on a Dillon progressive. I have on one occasion, back when I was new to reloading, loaded 1000’s of 9mm subsonic over a period of a week. They were 158 grain hard cast bullets over a light charge of Titegroup.

They shot great, but because the load was light it did not take up much space in the case, I did not notice that some did not get quite as much powder as the load required. I had quite a few get stuck in the barrel. When you cut the charge down to a small VOLUME the Dillon powder device — all powder devices—becomes less accurate and it is easy to shortchange the load. Dillon has at least three different powder bars for certain grain ranges, they are really designed for certain volume ranges. I combat the issue by using RedDot or Solo1000. They are bulky. So is Trail Boss, but it does not meter as well.

Botton line light loads require extra care; a small variation, ie: .2 grains, is a large percentage drop in power.

Also, almost all 45acp is subsonic, but I had the best all around results with 200 grain lead SWC’s over w231, TiteGroup, Solo1000.

I want to add a word of caution regarding light loads. I load on a Dillon progressive. I have on one occasion, back when I was new to reloading, loaded 1000’s of 9mm subsonic over a period of a week. They were 158 grain hard cast bullets over a light charge of Titegroup.

They shot great, but because the load was light it did not take up much space in the case, I did not notice that some did not get quite as much powder as the load required. I had quite a few get stuck in the barrel. When you cut the charge down to a small VOLUME the Dillon powder device — all powder devices—becomes less accurate and it is easy to shortchange the load. Dillon has at least three different powder bars for certain grain ranges, they are really designed for certain volume ranges. I combat the issue by using RedDot or Solo1000. They are bulky. So is Trail Boss, but it does not meter as well.

Botton line light loads require extra care; a small variation, ie: .2 grains, is a large percentage drop in power.

Also, almost all 45acp is subsonic, but I had the best all around results with 200 grain lead SWC’s over w231, TiteGroup, Solo1000.

I use a Lee AutoDisk measure on my Dillon for most pistol cartridges. I use both the disk and one of the adjustable measures in it. I swear the Lee is more consistent than the Dillon, especially on light loads. It does seem like when I was loading .380s, I couldn't use the fastest powder because none of my measure would go low enough, ended up using power pistol in the .380 so I could measure it.

Yep, only 185 pushed hard in a 45 acp will break the sound barrier. Any 200 grain or 230 grain ain't gonna reach it.

Rosewood

I load with an RCBS single stage and use the Uniflow powder measure with the small metering drum, it works great with Titegroup. I'm ocd about reloading, checking the powder weight very often.

I'm currently running 124gr for my 9mm sub loads. Out of a 4" barrel with 3.7 gr of titegroup and a oal of 1.150" I get 1048 fps through the crono. I like the 124 because it's cheaper haha

For reference I shoot precision delta 124 jhp over 4.1gr of VV N320 and get 1040 on cold days in a cold gun . Get about 1090 on a hot day . That will barely keep you subsonic. Backing off to 4.0 will surely keep you subsonic. That is out of a 5 " barrel and tight chamber .

Back
Top Bottom