• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm AR build...work in progress

Man, I'd love an AR9. Is there any trick to building one that runs good without building it and swapping parts until you find something that works? It seems like I see so many "Help my AR9 doesn't run!" posts.

Man, I'd love an AR9. Is there any trick to building one that runs good without building it and swapping parts until you find something that works? It seems like I see so many "Help my AR9 doesn't run!" posts.

This is part of the reason I started this thread. The one thing I keep seeing is the buffer/spring/spacer issue. I think I'm going to get a Colt buffer and spring and run it. It's what factory Colt rifles have...so in my mind, it should work. I think I can get them for less than $50. If it doesn't work, I'm going to get the silent captured spring. I'm already $300 over budget, so what the hell...

Yep that's about it, I've had to tinker with it a bit, I had to file down and polish the feed ramp, and change the buffer spring. The 3 I've had in the past always needed something

Bite the bullet and get the JP SCS and Bolt. If you do, you'll more than likely never understand all the 9mm AR problems others talk about.

I may do just that. Is their bolt Colt compatible? I'm still learning as I go...

Edit: I found out it does work with Colt mags. Holy crap @$240. Plus $150 for the SCS. Ugh!

I may do just that. Is their bolt Colt compatible? I'm still learning as I go...

Edit: I found out it does work with Colt mags. Holy crap @$240. Plus $150 for the SCS. Ugh!

Buy once, Cry once. If you spend funds on other options and later decide to do so it'll simply cost you more in the long run.

I run their (JP) 9mm bolt and 1st gen SCS and have yet to ever have a malfunction of any kind.

Yes to the Colt mags. That's what I run. Metalform: https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-9mm-32rd-metalform.html#.Ws0s2C7waUk

Not sure how it compares to the JP, but Armaspec has their Stealth recoil spring for half the cost. I'm waiting for their sound mitigation buffer to come out in May, for $45!

I would love to hear reviews if anybody has personal experience.

Buy quality Parts made for an AR9. There are TONS of guys that have built them with no issues what so ever. I have one and have had 0 issues.

Back
Top Bottom