9mm Crimp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub Master

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
102   0
Reaction score
Do you crimp your 9mm? I just started reloading and my first batch of 9mm look a little like coke bottles. The first trial round hung in the barrel and the slide locked up. It fits my case gauge and seems to be within specs.The length is 1.169 or so. The factory ammo is around 1.50+-. A friend that reloads said to forget the crimp. Dillon said crimp and live with the bottle look. What do you do?

What are you loading? .355 or .356? Full length size, expand the case mouth just enough for the bullet to start into the case, seat the bullet and yes taper crimp it just enough to remove the case mouth expansion and get the case back straight. The nine headspaces on the case mouth, so it needs to be uniform along the bullet. Got any pics?

Loading 356. I can not figure out how to load more than one picture so another one is on the next post. Thanks
i52.tinypic.com_2r2ry93.jpg

Last edited:
I found that running my 9mm reloads thru a Lee Factory Crimp die did away with any of the irregularities in the case and made them feed a lot better. it's both a crimper and a carbide sizer after loading. works for me.

1.169 is listed as max in the new Lyman so that was what I was going for. I now see that it should be based on the gun and bullet. I just ordered a Lee Crimp die and hope it will make a difference on the crimp. Ordered some 115gr and 125gr Berry Bullets.

From the pics they almost appear to be near crushed. As stated above, back way off you crimp. You want just enough to straighten the brass back to its size before expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom