• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm Crimp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your Factory OAL measurement is off or you mistyped it, my Factory fmj rounds are 1.16 average and Factory JHP average 1.077. I also agree with Chuchdog and Bearpugh, cases look overcrimped, your getting case bulge ease off on the crimp measurement.

You've got ALOT of crimp on those. You can back that off to where it is a slight roll in at the case mouth.

Regarding the coke bottle look, 9mms are tapered cases, and when reloaded get the case bottle look. It's not a problem, I've fired more rounds than I can think of that look like that. I'd be more worried about stuck cases or rounds not chambering from the cases being too big. As long as they chamber check ok, I wouldn't sweat it.

if factory ammo is 1.50, 1.16 seems awful short.

I think he meant 1.150 for factory ammo.

The rounds looks too long and have too much crimp. There is no gaurantee the chamber of your gun is exactly to spec. It could be a bit short, and your slide can't quite go into battery with a max-sized round. Or, with that much crimp, you may have reduced the diameter of the bullet and the brass to the point where the edge of the brass round could be jamming into the rifling in the throat of the barrel, although that seem less likely.

Even without the factory crimp die (which I like), you should be able to seat the bullet with just modest tension from the case wall. You should be flaring the case mouth minimally when doing the powder step, and then during the seating step, putting just enough crimp to remove the flare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom