• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm Hourglass Shape?

You do know to take and pull the barrel out of your pistol and drop a loaded round into the chamber to check and see if it will basically fall in and out right ?

It looks to me like you need to adjust the sizing die to where it sizes the whole case. It looks like it isnt sizing fully. And you could be giving er too much muscle on the crimp. Just a little pressure is good

I use a Wilson Cartrige Gauge to sample verify all of my ammunition as I reload it.

Are we talking about a "Glock Bulge" in the case just above the rim OR what?
This is very hard to address in a 9mm Lugar in that it is a tapered case to begin with.
Lee Carbide Dies have the best record of addressing this effect ... I know from experience that
cases sized in other name-brand dies don't.

Further ...

It isn't uncommon to see a slight "BLUEPRINTING" effect around the outline of the projectile loaded in a straightwalled case.

I backed up the seating die to 1.075" and also backed up the crimping die about a quarter-ish of a turn, and the hourglass is less pronounced than before. I got my Unique powder, so I'll be starting to make some live rounds here either tonight or tomorrow starting around 4.2 and going up to around 4.8 making about 5-10 rounds each to see how they fair in my 17c.

If you look at the SAAMI specs for this cartradge you will see that it is .010" smaller at the mouth OD than the base OD. Since carbide dies have only a small ring of tungsten carbide silver soldered into the mouth of the die, the die sizes the brass straight thus removing the taper. When the inside expander is inserted it brings the ID where the bullet will seat back to spec. Thus making the 'hour glass' effect. 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 10mm, 380 ACP, etc. are straight wall designs and you should not get this effect with them. The 'hour glass' does not affect safety or accurcy. This is why Lee and others do not make push though dies for 9mm Luger. Happy loadin' and keep shootin' :~}

So I just loaded my first set of rounds earlier today!! I was going extremely slow so as make sure that I was not making any mistakes. Took me about 3 or 4 charges to get to the 4.2gr that I wanted to load to. Seated them at 1.075" OAL, fired 10 through my G19 and they fired and fed great. So I'm excited to step up the charges a bit closer to max, as I'm .8gr from max.

Why do you want to shoot max load? That uses powder up faster. If your load cycles reliably play with a longer coal and see what produces the best accuracy. Who cares if you are at max, if you are at the needed fps then roll with what you got.

Mine are barely noticeable but you tell a bit of an hourglass shape. I'm using older Lyman carbide dies and shot my first batch today. They shot great with the Berry's 124gr round nose. I am seating to a O.A.L 1.160, and using 4gr of Bullseye. Used a slight taper crimp, just enough to take the edge down. Accuracy was impressive.

Back
Top Bottom