• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm HP reloading question

Lobo1

Default rank <5000 posts
Lone Wolf
25   0
Reaction score
I do a lot of reloading, mainly 9 mm, 38 spcl, and 357 magnum. Plus several rifle calibers. But my question here is focused on 9mm hollow points. I mainly reload 9mm. 115 grain FMJ RN but last night I was going to load up some 115 gr hollow points. I loaded up 25 and of course followed the data in my Sierra manual. I stepped outside and did a little test firing and immediately saw a problem with jamming on about every 3rd round. I adjusted the bullet seating on 6 rounds and no change. Is there a trick to hollow points with 9mm? The gun I was using was an old like new Ruger P89 that has never jammed once until last night. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Remove the barrel from the gun and drop in a loaded round in the barrel chamber. Does it plunk in or get stuck almost in?
This might help you narrow it down to length (OAL), bulge around the bullet or bulge at the base.
Was the reloaded brass shot with a Glock?

I will take the barrel out this evening and try that. No Glock used. All my 9mm brass have been shot through S&W, Ruger only. Thanks

I have one of every manual and I cross reference everything before I load. Hornady is horrible about misprints and inconsistencies from one edition to the next. It does sound like OACL or bulged cases. If you use the same brass with fmj with no problem, it's OAL. If you are reloading this brass for a second time or more, check the case length, it may need trimming. I recommend a case gauge (go,no go gauge). I use them for all of my high volume calibers. Dillon Precision has a good selection of them. Hope this helps.

What is the bullet, what OAL, what powder and gr

The bullet is Sierra 115 grain jacked Hollow Point, the OAL is 1.143 (my Sierra and Nosler data manuals both show the max OAL at 1.169. Powder is Tightgroup (this time) and charge weight is 3.7 grains. I started at the low end od the charge range. I have had the same problem using 231,HP-38 also.

Always load a couple of inert dummy rounds first to establish the COL range that feed and chambers in YOUR gun.

Per Ramshot:

"SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”

It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a guideline only.

The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.

This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as

1) magazine length (space),

2) freebore-lead dimensions of the barrel,

3) ogive or profile of the projectile and

4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

• Always begin loading at the minimum "Start Load".

• Increase in 2% increments towards the Maximum Load.

• Watch for signs of excessive pressure.

• Never exceed the Maximum Load."

Your COL (OAL) is determined by your barrel (chamber and throat dimensions) and your gun (feed ramp) and your magazine (COL that fits magazine and when the magazine lips release the round for feeding) and the PARTICULAR bullet you are using. What worked in a pressure barrel or the lab's gun or in my gun has very little to do with what will work best in your gun.

Take the barrel out of the gun. Create two inert dummy rounds (no powder or primer) at max COL and remove enough case mouth flare for rounds to chamber (you can achieve this by using a sized case—expand-and-flare it, and remove the flare just until the case "plunks" in the barrel).

Drop the inert rounds in and decrease the COL until they chamber completely. This will be your "max" effective COL. I prefer to have the case head flush with the barrel hood. After this, place the inert rounds in the magazine and be sure they fit the magazine and feed and chamber. If need be, reduce the COL until you get 100% feeding and chambering.

You can also do this for any chambering problems you have. Remove the barrel and drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth.

Remove and inspect the round:

1) scratches on bullet--COL is too long

2) scratches on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp

3) scratches just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case

4) scratches on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit

5) scratches on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

Most jhp bullets are a little shorter than fmj round nose bullets, anyway, I load jhp to about 1.110 and use 4.2 gr tight group, as said above 3.7 gr may not cycle, I think the bullet needs seated a little deeper, I shoot mine in a glock with no problems.
I believe the problem may be OAL, hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom