• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9MM Nickel platted brass:

I load nickle brass in with my mix of 9mm.....and everything else i load too.

Unless you are shooting match or trying to taylor a load, mixing brass brands/styles for loading shouldnt matter. The cases are sized, all of it is or should be alike when run properly through the dies.

Ive been loading/shooting mixed cases most all my life. Ever since i remember my dad starting me on loading. Never a problem .

Load your nickle brass just like any other brass. :)

I use mostly nickel cases in my 38 Super loads as it simply makes it easier to find them amongst all the 9 MM cases at the range but other than that there is really little difference in nickel or brass.
I typically save my nickel brass (380. 9 MM, 10 MM, 45 acp) to use in my self defense loadings as they tend to sit on the shelf a lot longer and stay nice and shiny.

I've loaded a ton of nickle plated cartridges, just not in 9mm.

I loaded a lot in .38 Spec. when I was shooting some competition, because they are "slicker" and fall out of the cylinder easier.

Load a lot in hot loads in .44 magnum, same thing, they don't stick.

Loaded some rifle in .308 and .25-06 just cause they look so cool. Cool counts.

I keep them segregated because I have a lot of them, and the "pull" on the press varies some.

I've heard people claim that the nickel plating makes the brass more brittle, but I haven't run into that even with .44 Mag +P loads.

I don't any reason they wouldn't do as well in 9MM.

I load 45 acp, and I've loaded tons of nickel cases. Zero difference in loads, techniques and all dimensions.

The stuff works well, cleans/tumbles faster, and doesn't corrode, especially if the cartridge is being held in a leather holster belt...

Ive found them a bit stiffer than plain brass but no problems except in 357 sig, where I toss a few. Bottleneck seems to make a difference.

I was just fixin to start a therad on this except I was wondering about a more high pressure load. Iv been loading .45ACP in nickel with no problems, but i have a ton of nickel 300RUM cases and was wondering if it would be ok/safe to load them. Iv read mixed reviews. Can someone answer this. Sorry OP didn't mean to hack your therad.
biker_bill biker_bill 41mag 41mag Flashover16 Flashover16 @rosewood

I was just fixin to start a therad on this except I was wondering about a more high pressure load. Iv been loading .45ACP in nickel with no problems, but i have a ton of nickel 300RUM cases and was wondering if it would be ok/safe to load them. Iv read mixed reviews. Can someone answer this. Sorry OP didn't mean to hack your therad.
biker_bill biker_bill 41mag 41mag Flashover16 Flashover16 @rosewood

Eric all I really KNOW about the difference in nickel and brass is this;
Because it's nickel plated it is more expensive when you're buying it and supposedly it doesn't take resizing as well. The nickel plated brass will get weary of resizing and have to be discarded earlier.
Sorry, all I know on the subject.

Since I don't reload any hunting rounds for handgunning and rarely make .357's because the .38's are fine for my purposes, I have little experience with reloading the higher pressure handgun rounds.

I will say, if the nickel plated brass looks fine regardless of the caliber, I would load it, but again I don't load anything "Hot".

Back
Top Bottom