• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm OALusing 124 grain rainier hp and bullseye powder charge

workky

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
70   0
Reaction score
Anyone give me any OAL using 124 grain Rainier HP
Also need to try and figure out the charge using bullseye, I want to try and keep it below 1140fps

any help would be appreciated, Thank You

I try snagging a similar shaped factory of the same weight and avoiding compressing the charge.

I checked, Federal HST 124 gn. bonded JHP the OAL is 1.10".

Remington Golden Saber 124 gn. bonded JHP the OAL is 1.12"

For comparison Winchester 147 gn. Personal Protection JHP is 1.12"

Note that the Golden Saber bullet is a bit odd shaped as the forward part of the bullet is rebated slightly. You should be able to load down to 1.10 or go out to 1.12. I'd try 1.10" first, then try 50-100 rounds out and make sure all my pistols functioned with it.

Anyone give me any OAL using 124 grain Rainier HP
Also need to try and figure out the charge using bullseye, I want to try and keep it below 1140fps

any help would be appreciated, Thank You

Most of the loading data that I have indicate approximately 1.120 as OAL for a 124 grain flat / or hollow point.
The recommended length for the 9 MM is 1.169.
so anywhere in between as long as it functions in your weapon should be fine.
you may want to fine tune the final OAL to best performance /function in your particular weapon.
just keep an eye on pressure signs if you begin to shorten the OAL.

I use 4.0 Bullyeye as a starting point for just about every target bullet in 9, 357, 40, or 45.

3.0 in the 38 Special.

I run OAL on 9mm as long as I can and still fit in the mag and pass the plunk test.

well that's one way to do it and safe!
but you do realize that you are giving up performance as for a given weight (amount ) of powder as you are reducing the operating pressure of the round.
same if you shorten the OAL , it increases the pressure.
with lighter weight projectiles you can risk not having enough projectile for the case to hold it as well.

Back
Top Bottom