• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9MM Question

my guess as others have said is that the rounds were not resized properly when reloaded. it happens if you have a tight chamber in a pistol, and a sizing die not screwed down all the way.

one option if you have a press is to buy a Lee Factory Crimp die ($12). it's got a carbide sizer on it and sometimes it will get that little extra bit of diameter off the round and allow it to chamber.

maybe see if you can find someone with a cartridge gauge and see if the bullets drop into it. or take your barrel out and just drop a few rounds into the barrel. they should seat all the way into the barrel. if they don't you have a problem. resize them and try it again. or keep the ones that drop into the barrel they should be fine, sell the others to someone who wants to pull them apart and use the brass and bullets. :)

could be that your pistol has a tight chamber compared to say a glock.

From what I recall, 9mm is a rather strange straight-wall case: the case is somewhat tapered with the base being a "little" larger than the rest of the body.
So, the foregoing may just do the trick ... but don't forget to remove the crimp sleeve in the body of the crimper die. Otherwise you just may create more problems!

The Lee Bulge Buster is designed to work with a Lee Crimp Die body of the same caliber. I use it on my .40 S&W Brass with good success

While I haven't done so yet ... It is my understanding that you can push loaded ammo through it with no problem.

Just be advised that the ammo is pushed through "nose-up" as the ram has an indention to
keep it away from properly set primers. Worrysome is the fact that the nose may be sticking its "snout" into the primer of
a previously pushed through round !!!

That said, I would be careful of the amount of force that you use!

Last edited:
I was given some 9mm ammo, reloads I assume, (1300 rds) but didn't have a 9mm so I bought an LC9. The 3rd or 4th round in the first magazine loaded didn't fire and the slide wasn't all the way forward after a successful shot. I couldn't pull it back either. I was able to get the round out by taking the gun apart. In looking at the ammo I noticed the casings looked tapered. I was told at the range that they probably weren't sized during reloadng and that whoever reloaded them probably didn't size them because if they are fired out of the same gun all the time they didn't need to be.
Any thoughts? Are they worthless to me now? Is there a 9mm gun that will fire these rounds?

9 mm's are somewhat tapered. Be very wary​ of anything your told at a range? Most bullets will simply drop right in and out of any unsized spent brass.

Some truly match grade rifle chambers are capable of this, but a reliable auto loading pistol? That would be something someone would have to show me.

I'm thinking it likely oversized cast bullets, over expanded case mouth, and or improper crimp

i was given some 9mm ammo, reloads i assume, (1300 rds) but didn't have a 9mm so i bought an lc9. The 3rd or 4th round in the first magazine loaded didn't fire and the slide wasn't all the way forward after a successful shot. I couldn't pull it back either. I was able to get the round out by taking the gun apart. In looking at the ammo i noticed the casings looked tapered. I was told at the range that they probably weren't sized during reloadng and that whoever reloaded them probably didn't size them because if they are fired out of the same gun all the time they didn't need to be.
Any thoughts? Are they worthless to me now? Is there a 9mm gun that will fire these rounds?

gun could just need a lil breaking in

Here is an experience I have had with reloaded 9mm. Ammo was loaded for and tested in the 9mm pistol I had at the time. I purchased another pistol, and had basically this same problem. The cartridge seemed stuck in the chamber and when I pulled the slide back to eject the unfired reload, the bullet "stuck" in the barrel and dumped the powder inside the pistol.

I had to disassembly the pistol to push the bullet from the rifling. The problem with my reloads was that the 147gr cast bullet was so "blunt" that even at the std OAL, the cast bullet was touching the rifling in the barrel. I ran a test batch back thru the bullet seating die and seated the bullets around .010 deeper, and the problem was solved. I wasn't concerned about pressures since my reloads were loaded with minimal powder for the range.

I said all this to say that the problem could just one where the reloads are over length for your pistol's chamber...

Looks like the case mouth was severely over expanded, and then no taper crimp applied.

They appear like they may be a little long too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom