• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm reloading looking for cleaner powder & compatable with .45acp

oh yeah and I do use it with Ranier 165gr HP in the 40S&W in my glock. I may get an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead in the glock (I have a 9mm conversion barrel and just picked up some 147gr Berry Plated RN bullets to try on that one.

I've heard it's not good to shoot lead bullets in the stock/OE glock barrels because of heavier leading with the polygonal rifling...

oh yeah and I do use it with Ranier 165gr HP in the 40S&W in my glock. I may get an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead in the glock (I have a 9mm conversion barrel and just picked up some 147gr Berry Plated RN bullets to try on that one.

I've heard it's not good to shoot lead bullets in the stock/OE glock barrels because of heavier leading with the polygonal rifling...

I have 6k worth of Berry's plated thru my 17 ..... as long as you arent trying to get super fast speeds youll be fine. My 9mm load is at 1050 fps with a 124 grain Berrys, and Im fixing to make up at 147 load somewhere around 860.

If you are not worried about a double charge in the 45, I suggest TiteGroup, HP-38, or Winchester 231. They work well in the 9mm as well.
HP-38 and W231 are the same powder with two names. They are all fairly clean. I use TiteGroup in my 9mm - I have tried all of them and I like it the best. Solo1000 will fill the case of a 45 better than the others, but may need to be compressed in the 9mm if you shoot light weight bullets -- unless you want light loads. The Solo1000 works best with heavy bullets (147grain) in the 9mm.

Here are the two reasons I don't like to use Solo1000 in my reloads:

1. It is very temperature sensitive; it is quite a bit more powerful on cold days--very noticable.
2. Solo1000 is made for Accurate Arms by outside sources and the amount of powder required for a given velocity changes by a couple of tenthes of a grain from lot to lot (container to container). I have had to increase all of my loads from one bottle of powder to another -- frustrating extra work.

If you are not worried about a double charge in the 45, I suggest TiteGroup, HP-38, or Winchester 231. They work well in the 9mm as well.
HP-38 and W231 are the same powder with two names. They are all fairly clean. I use TiteGroup in my 9mm - I have tried all of them and I like it the best. Solo1000 will fill the case of a 45 better than the others, but may need to be compressed in the 9mm if you shoot light weight bullets -- unless you want light loads. The Solo1000 works best with heavy bullets (147grain) in the 9mm.

Here are the two reasons I don't like to use Solo1000 in my reloads:

1. It is very temperature sensitive; it is quite a bit more powerful on cold days--very noticable.
2. Solo1000 is made for Accurate Arms by outside sources and the amount of powder required for a given velocity changes by a couple of tenthes of a grain from lot to lot (container to container). I have had to increase all of my loads from one bottle of powder to another -- frustrating extra work.
IF you buy jugs 12 oz at a time then yes solo could be a pain in the arse, BUT if you buy a couple of 8 pound jugs at a time, then theres no problems as long as they are the same lot.

Unique is certainly a good powder choice as well as the ones I favor in my post. I quit using it years ago, only because it seemed very dirty in my guns.

I used to use titegroup in the forty -- but I had the issue of my forty blowing apart one day, just like all the legendary often discounted stories. Yes, I was using a max load, but it was out of a book, and I had used it for several years. I figured that I would at least eliminate the possibility of a double charge in the future -- weather that was the cause or not -- by loading with a powder that fills the case. I will never be sure if it was a double charge, bullet set back, or just the result of pushing a fast powder with a heavy bullet on a hot day. But, one new HK frame later, I am a believer in the 40S&W stories and cautions which often include TiteGroup.

Back
Top Bottom