9mm reloading problems- help!

renault314

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
27   0
Reaction score
using a lee pro 1000 and lee recipie book,
loaded some ammo but it wont cycle in my glock 17 or S&W sigma
i have accurate #7 powder. loaded the minimum for a 115 gr copper jacket round nose would fire but not cycle. went to a mid load and would not cycle in my glock even on a 13lb spring. the book says max load is about 7.5 grains, but i just feel like i have to be doing something wrong to have to use the max load just to get the gun to cycle properly. both guns run fine on factory steel and brass ammo no problem. oh yeah im using cci primers.
any suggestions?

Describe "won't cycle"? I'm not familiar with the recoil springs in a Glock, 13's about the standard in
a 9mm 1911. It's not unusual for defensive pistols to require near max loads for proper cycling.

You may won't to try a bit faster burning powder for lighter loads? The faster powder's pressure may
build fast enough to cycle even at lower velocity? The slower powders many times don't fair well in
lighter loads?

Define your issue better, if possible pics' may help too?

Last edited:
I stopped reloading 115 grain bullets over 20 years ago for a Glock 17. The faster powders seemed to exacerbate the function issue. The same loads worked fine in all steel pistols but not my Glock. My reloading buddy had the same issues too and pushed the load to maximum and it did improve but not resolve the issue. We tried different crimps but only had a couple of powders at the time but to no avail. However you may want to try a bit more crimp and play with OAL to see if it helps.

If anyone has an excellent 115 gr. Glock 17 or polymer full size loading post it up I'm all ears.

124 grain bullets resolved the issue but I'd recommend a slower powder and your AA#7 should be fine.

Last edited:
I was somehow under the impression that Glock recommended you do not use reloads in their guns. I could be way off here, but that was/is my impression.

Yep many gun makers "recommend" you not use reloads due to potential litigation issues. Most kabooms are a double charge of powder or pushing another bullet ontop another stuck in the bore or grabbing the wrong powder/data.

But many fail to observe it. I'm one, a rouge shooter so to speak. I was a child that tested boundries and patience of my care givers much to their chagrin. :eyebrows::whip:

Last edited:
It's the lead bullets that aren't Glock friendly. Their poly rifling is the reason.

I load for Glocks, M&P's, and XD's all the time. I've had zero issues?
I use standard 9 mm loading data. My favorite powders are Accurate #7
and Longshot for defensive loads. I use Universal for the majority of my plinking
loads. But I don't load many plinking loads for the 9's either. My wife's Smith, and
every XD, and G26 I've had has worked great with 115 gr Hornady FMJ for her practice
shooting.

I bought a gozillion 115gr .355 JHP bullets a couple of years ago, so that's what the majority
of my loading contains.

Post some pics. If the factory's work, yours should too.

I too have had MUCH better luck with using 124 grain bullets instead of 115. I don't have my information in front of me but I think I finally got my 17 to cycle correctly around 4.3 grains of Winchester 231 at an OAL of 1.157. Again, I do not have my log in front of me but I think these are correct. So times it takes trial and error to work out a load that functions well in different guns.

On a side note if your looking for a automatic bullet seater for your Pro 1000 I have one for sale. Bought it new and never used it. Ended up going with a different press.

I loaded some 9mm recently that performed just fine for the 200 rds I shot so far of it. 115 gr Ranier rn, 4.3 gr Win 231, 1.105 OAL. There were shot out of an XDm 4.5" fullsize 9mm.

my Lyman's #49 shows 6.8 Grains of AA #7 as the minimum loading for a 9mm 115 GR JHP with a 1.090 OAL
It also show the most accurate loading for the 115 GR JHP with PowerPistol at its maximum loading of 6.5 Grains

The most accurate 9mm (9x19) load for my G23 with a Lone Star 40/9 Conversion Barrel is a 124 Plated or Jacketed RN Projectile over 4.3 to 4.4 GR of Universal
1.142 OAL, (slightly) Crimpted at .378. Functions perfectly and seems to be magnetically attracted to the center of the "X" ring at 7 or 10 yards.
YES, the Universal is faster than the AA #7 ....

I will say that my experience with loading for autoloading pistols is that they like loads closer to the maximum. Otherwise accuracy and occasionally function isn't consistent.

Back
Top Bottom