• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm reloading problems- help!

thanks for the input guys, but i still dont know what to do.
let me try to dfine the problem a little more.
when i load the magazine and chamber a round, no problems. i pull the trigger and the bullet fires, but it is noticably light and will not throw the slide back far enough to even kick out the spent shell, much less strip a new one off the mag, which is why i described it as a cycling problem.
the stock spring on a glock is 17lbs. even replacing it with a 13lb spring did not fix the problem. i put the bullets on the scale and they are exactly 115gr. so that is not the problem. according to the lee load data (going from memory here) the 115gr copper jacket and accurate #7 minimal load is about 5.5 grains or so. i dont have the book in front of me (but i do when im loading). that will not cycle the glock or the sigma. the never exceed load is 7.5 grains, which i have calculated to be about .48cc on the disk measure. i have not used that load yet, but i have made and intermediate load of a little over 6 grains. these also will not properly function in a glock or sigma. I will try the max load, 7.5 grains this weekend,
but like i said before, i should not have to use the max load to make the gun work. i want to know what i am doing wrong. there is not a bullet crimp stage on this press. i like the 115gr for plinking and target shooting. i am willing to change powders, but would hate to waste the 3/4 lb of #7 i have left.

thanks for the input guys, but i still dont know what to do.
let me try to dfine the problem a little more.
when i load the magazine and chamber a round, no problems. i pull the trigger and the bullet fires, but it is noticably light and will not throw the slide back far enough to even kick out the spent shell, much less strip a new one off the mag, which is why i described it as a cycling problem.
the stock spring on a glock is 17lbs. even replacing it with a 13lb spring did not fix the problem. i put the bullets on the scale and they are exactly 115gr. so that is not the problem. according to the lee load data (going from memory here) the 115gr copper jacket and accurate #7 minimal load is about 5.5 grains or so. i dont have the book in front of me (but i do when im loading). that will not cycle the glock or the sigma. the never exceed load is 7.5 grains, which i have calculated to be about .48cc on the disk measure. i have not used that load yet, but i have made and intermediate load of a little over 6 grains. these also will not properly function in a glock or sigma. I will try the max load, 7.5 grains this weekend,
but like i said before, i should not have to use the max load to make the gun work. i want to know what i am doing wrong. there is not a bullet crimp stage on this press. i like the 115gr for plinking and target shooting. i am willing to change powders, but would hate to waste the 3/4 lb of #7 i have left.

I am hoping the loaded bullets weigh more than 115 grn, 115 grn should be the weight of just the head it self.

Read the instructions for your seating die. Most 9mm seating dies have the ability to taper
crimp. If you have the bullet seated at the desired length, unscrew the top part, the seater insert/plug
several turns.

The die body should have been set about a half turn off contact with the case mouth while finding
your desired seating depth. Now with your seater insert backed away from the projectile loosen the
lock ring on the die body. With the ram at the top of the stroke, screw the die body down till you
feel it make contact with the case. Back the ram up a bit, and turn the die body down a quarter or
half turn or so. Run the ram back to the top to see if it straightens the case body back out to make
full contact with the loaded round. Once the desire amount of crimp is found, lock the die body and
with the ram still held at the top of the stroke, screw your seater insert back down to make contact
with the bullet.

The next bullet you seat should be seated and crimped just as the last one?

Not enough juice sir. Increase your powder charge. It's apparent that the charge is not enough to even cycle your slide. I have used the 2.1-3.5 data. The new 3.5 data has been castrated here is the link http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

Here is some older data:

2.1 data
No.7 115gr. NOS FMJ 7.9 (1,052)- 8.8 (1,196)

3.3 data
No.7 115gr. NOS FMJ 7.9 (1,052)- 8.8 (1,196)
No.7 115gr. LC RN 7.8 (1,078)- 8.7 (1,225)

New
3.5 data
No 7 115gr NOS JHP 6.4 (994)- 7.5 (1,127)
No 7 115gr. BRY RNDS 7.0 (1,047)-8.2 (1,185)
No 7 115gr. RAN RN 5.7 (1,027)- 6.7 (1,165)
No 7 115gr. LC RN 6.3 (1,039)- 7.5 (1,178)

Last edited:
If you're worried about powder, try Universal Clays (Not regular Clays), Titegroup, HP-38 or Win 231, or WSF. It sounds like you don't have enough juice on the bullet. Get a scale and make sure you're throwing the correct amount of powder.

Back
Top Bottom