• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm reloading problems- help!

thanks a lot for the info guys.
i do have a scale, and was dropping the correct amount of powder, but from what people on here were using it looks like the never exceed load from Lee's manual is at the low end of what everyone else is using from other databases. ill continue to scale up slowly, but at least i have an idea about whats going on.

You need stonger load with faster burning powder..I shoot 5gns of unique and 115 or 125 gn and my 3 glocks and smith work fine with the load even if it is a medium load for a 115 gn.

I recently switched to 124 gr in 9mm just because all of the raves on here about them. Also use Win 231. They way I do it is to start low and load one round. fire it , if it dont cycle, bump the charge up 1/10 of a grain and I keep going until I get reliable cycling. Then may go up a little farther to get acceptable accuracy. This is how I develop my plinking loads.

I was at the range Thursday last trying out some light loads for a 147GR 9MM over 3.2 GR of Universal which was way too light (FTE after FTE), and the same projectile over 3.0 GR of Tightgroup which was like shooting a .22LR ... and YES there were no FTE's whatsoever. I'm going to push the Tightgroup load up to about 3.3 - 3.4 GR to get nearer to 950 FPS, and maybe push the Universal load a little, but that will be later on ... My ultimate goal is to obtain a defense load arounf 1,000 FPS with the 147GR Projectile .... However, sometimes "Better is the Enemy of Good-Enough"!

I had read that 9x19's love Tightgroup and I'm beginning to see why

AA #7 is not a good plinking powder. It is best used for max power loads. I reccomend getting your charge weight checked on a different scale. I believe #5 would be a better choice. Also, I always go with the powder charge that is reported to yeild the power that I am looking for, and then adjust for actuall performance--no need to waste time with the min load.

Back
Top Bottom