• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm vs .45acp vs .357sig 8/16/17

When has life ever been known to be fair... :cool:

This was a real life personal test on ammo that I shoot on a regular basis in my backyard on test subjects

Believe me all of my handguns keep fresh quality HP rounds

I shoot a lot of 9mm/.357sig defensive rounds only though as it's only a couple of dollars more to shoot. Not so much in the .45
So you had some HP ammo for the 45, but chose not to use it. Yeah, okay. I think some people call this "stacking the deck". Your test is invalid due to personal bias.

Why don't you test a 22lr against an unloaded 45? It would be about as useful a comparison as the one in the OP.

Y'all crack me up as I am just having fun and poking at the .45acp

On paper the .357sig has better ballistics then the .45acp and I'm sure the .45acp HST would have devistated the target well if not better.

It was a long day at work and I felt like slangin some lead when I got home and sharing some pics

So you had some HP ammo for the 45, but chose not to use it. Yeah, okay. I think some people call this "stacking the deck". Your test is invalid due to personal bias.

Why don't you test a 22lr against an unloaded 45? It would be about as useful a comparison as the one in the OP.

I think it was a cool test. I think the OP was just trying to show that 45 FMJ- is not as devastating as some believe. All of us realize that a 45 HP will perform better than a 45 FMJ- but I think the OP was showing us the limitations of FMJ.

Of course using 230 grain or 180 grain +p 45 Gold Dots or HST's would be an interesting comparison also.

I assure you when we meet up on Friday my 1911 will not be loaded with full metal jackets..
IMG_20170816_222535~2.jpg
View attachment 1283592

Damn..that .357sig ain't no joke. Nice post OP. Thanks. Still curious about a good hp .45 round for comparison but I get the way you set it up. I always liked the Hornady 180 grain hp and a spare mag of the TAP .45 +p..would like to see that take a piece of the can..don't think I ever blasted one with it..hmmm

I've read all kinds of ballistics and test reports, and watched all kind of videos. I'm not even close to being an authority on this issue.

But After it all, I like speed in a defensive round and like a bonded bullet or one that is proven to perform well after or through a barrier. I prefer more rounds. For these reasons I've always been a fan of the 357 Sig.

If I could get a 45. ACP with a weight down to 165 gr and keep the speed up around 1300 ft/second and get 13 rounds to fit in a Glock 19 size gun and the bullets would perform well through barriers, retain much of the bullet weight after impact and expand reasonably well... I'd love that.

But until then, the 357 Sig remains my favorite round.

Back
Top Bottom