• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm vs .45acp vs .357sig 8/16/17

I want to run it with large cans of cranberry sauce so I can get that movie blood splatter effect or maybe fill some bottles with cherry jello. 135 grain hp cooking at 1600fps should make a nice mess.

A 16 oz. target of juicy material is ideal for light, fast bullets like the .357 mag or SiG.
For that matter, those cans of yams would probably splatter nicely with a 5.7 FN round, .22 magnum HP fired from a rifle, or an expanding bullet from a .30 Luger, 7.62 Tokarev, or .30 Mauser pistol round.
All are light bullets with blazing speed.

TRY THIS DIFFERENT TEST :

Make two 20 -lb batches of dough. Plain white-flour baking dough.
Put each batch in a 5-gallon plastic bucket and stuff a 3/4" piece of plywood in the middle of it (to simulate bone).
Hang each bucket from a string.

Shoot each. One with a .357 Sig and one with a .45 ACP, 200-230 grain +P load, with a HP bullet.

See which one swings the bucket more (though neither will really move it much).

Pull out the plywood insert and see what size hole is in it.

velocity > all this is why rifles > pistols with the same bullet weight. The faster I can push a bullet the better. Im sure theres probably a point of diminishing returns but, not sure where that would be. I use to be a 45acp fan but even though I think its a pleasant shooter, there are few people using it as a main hunting cartridge. My next hunt ill probably take my 44 mag with a 10mm backup. I definatly wont be reaching for a 9mm, 40 or 45. If a pistol will give hog or deer a dirt nap, its probably good enough to protect you from other threats.

Back
Top Bottom