• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9x39 school me

You're not wrong...but baffle strikes that can easily be repaired by an armorer, funded with governmental monies, is less of a problem than for a private citizen. i've seen some gear that guys get issued. "Rode hard and hung up wet" comes to mind. Now, keep in mind these guys weren't JSOC Secret Squirrels, so there's that. I guess I just have a different opinion than most when I hear "Well, that's what the military uses."
The Russians somehow made armor piercing subs . I’ve heard the steel get slapped with the 9x39 and I’m glad it’s not me 700 fps be damned

I am going to disagree agree with you. We (mostly I) did extensive testing with both Tula and Wolf ammo from many different lots using pistol length and shorter length gas tubes. We used barrels from two different manufacturers that were both 8.5" and a 12" barrel. Pistol length was not reliable and usually did not cycle.

We tried a lot of combinations. The goal was using a standard bolt and buffer.

I am not sure what effect the geissele gas block might have.

We did note the earlier ammo from both Tula and Wolf was not the same spec as is shipping now. The wolf was hotter. Current lots are more uniform and not as hot.

We can talk on the phone a compare notes.

I am going to disagree agree with you. We (mostly I) did extensive testing with both Tula and Wolf ammo from many different lots using pistol length and shorter length gas tubes. We used barrels from two different manufacturers that were both 8.5" and a 12" barrel. Pistol length was not reliable and usually did not cycle.

We tried a lot of combinations. The goal was using a standard bolt and buffer.

I am not sure what effect the geissele gas block might have.

We did note the earlier ammo from both Tula and Wolf was not the same spec as is shipping now. The wolf was hotter. Current lots are more uniform and not as hot.

We can talk on the phone a compare notes.
I’d rather you come down and I’ll show you. I use the 8.5 and 10.5 kak barrels . Built 13 to date . As for Tula I have never even seen their 9x39 here . I’ve only used wolf and only wolf.

get with me and let’s plan a build . I could use another 9x39 in my life . Just finished another few days back

Well, there is the rub. if you only used Wolf ammo and you got only the early lots then your wolf ammo is hotter then what we testing with. I have some of the early ammo that works great in a Pistol length gas system. But the newest lots and what they are importing now did not work. We got the ammo direct from the importer. The same thing happened with the Tula Ammo. The first lots were not the same as the current lots. The Tula ammo is 248gn.

Well, there is the rub. if you only used Wolf ammo and you got only the early lots then your wolf ammo is hotter then what we testing with. I have some of the early ammo that works great in a Pistol length gas system. But the newest lots and what they are importing now did not work. We got the ammo direct from the importer. The same thing happened with the Tula Ammo. The first lots were not the same as the current lots. The Tula ammo is 248gn.
That would be incorrect as well. I flow through the wolf and I’ve only had one issue that was gas block related . Since then flawless . Maybe you should take me up on my offer or just settle with the fact you were mistaken

As far as barrel length, what’s the correct size? I know in the Russian VSS it’s 7.9
And what’s the best gas length?
I have looked this info up online as well and find specs all over the place, with mostly opinions and not facts.

As far as barrel length, what’s the correct size? I know in the Russian VSS it’s 7.9
And what’s the best gas length?
I have looked this info up online as well and find specs all over the place, with mostly opinions and not facts.
You need every bit of gas you can get . Shorter the better

Back
Top Bottom