• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A/C ????

Rivershot

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
31   0
Reaction score
OK, 99 CRV, compressor not kicking on, so I pick up a can and hook the gauges up and the low side (130+) is higher than my low side (50psi) With that much pressure I don't think it is low pressure keeping the compressor from kicking on.

Does that sound like a bad compressor or just possibly a bad clutch? or hopefully, just no power getting to the clutch.

I usually jumper out the "low freon" switch, which should be plugged into the side of an aluminum canister. (I don't know the technical name) This will override the low level and if the compressor/clutch is functional, it should engage.

Yeah all that sounds good but it's a Honda all of that is NOT easy to get too. much easier to ask first.

Guess I'll let it cool down and check one morning this week. Thanks.

Trying to make sense of your original post... so static high side is 130 and low is 50 when vehicle is off? If so, you got something funky going on. System should be equalized (same pressure on suction and discharge). What gauges are you using and are you positive you’re depressing the schraders? Anyways, possible causes are faulty low side switch, excessive clutch gap, bad clutch magnet or faulty dash controls.

Compressor is kaput. Google Honda CR-V AC black death. Or Honda CR-V AC compressor implode. If you feel like shelling out the money, get it fixed somewhere that has a good, long warranty. I've been through 1 repair that lasted just over a year (outside of 1 year warranty). Did it again, this time at a AAA branded shop, which as a AAA member includes 2 year/24,000 warranty. As expected had to have it back several times, and system repeatedly flushed/vacuumed, but it's outlasted the 2 year warranty at this point. The big problem with the CR-Vs is that the compressor explodes (implodes) and the bits and pieces spread throughout the system. Very hard to get them all out with a standard compressor replacement & system recharge. So the debris remains and eventually destroys the new compressor, creating a vicious cycle.

Trying to make sense of your original post... so static high side is 130 and low is 50 when vehicle is off? If so, you got something funky going on. System should be equalized (same pressure on suction and discharge). What gauges are you using and are you positive you’re depressing the schraders? Anyways, possible causes are faulty low side switch, excessive clutch gap, bad clutch magnet or faulty dash controls.

That's the thing, I've never seen high and low sides flipped, I've seen equal, but not flipped, seen almost zero on low and just a little on h-side The 130+ is as high as my gauge goes, it past that by a estimated 20+ pounds. I then hooked up one of those cheap things that just has Low, Good, and High and it pegged it. I could tell by opening up the high side it had less pressure.

Compressor is kaput. Google Honda CR-V AC black death. Or Honda CR-V AC compressor implode. If you feel like shelling out the money, get it fixed somewhere that has a good, long warranty. I've been through 1 repair that lasted just over a year (outside of 1 year warranty). Did it again, this time at a AAA branded shop, which as a AAA member includes 2 year/24,000 warranty. As expected had to have it back several times, and system repeatedly flushed/vacuumed, but it's outlasted the 2 year warranty at this point. The big problem with the CR-Vs is that the compressor explodes (implodes) and the bits and pieces spread throughout the system. Very hard to get them all out with a standard compressor replacement & system recharge. So the debris remains and eventually destroys the new compressor, creating a vicious cycle.

Kinda like a VW I had, if that's the case it will just be a 3 season car. I know when compressors let go it's hard to get the pieces out but you can add a filter that helps.

That's the thing, I've never seen high and low sides flipped, I've seen equal, but not flipped, seen almost zero on low and just a little on h-side The 130+ is as high as my gauge goes, it past that by a estimated 20+ pounds. I then hooked up one of those cheap things that just has Low, Good, and High and it pegged it. I could tell by opening up the high side it had less pressure.
Im lost. So your 130lb gauge Im guessing is actually a suction side gauge. If so, how are you hooking it to a high side port to get a reading? Regardless, you need to get some real readings and start checking for power at the clutch.

Back
Top Bottom