• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A couple of new stock projects

With these the Double Diamond is going to need a tint, that is an easy one. Minwax walnut... The other I have to special order the finish. It will be a beauty for sure!
I'm working on a Win 97 riot gun that I had to order a new stock. The forearm is in great condition but I want them to match. Stripped the stock and applied BLO (5 coats) but I do not think it's going to match up.

I'm worried about stripping the forearm since it's original and looks great. However, I would like them to match. All photos I see of the old 97s look like a dark walnut finish.

Thoughts?

I'm working on a Win 97 riot gun that I had to order a new stock. The forearm is in great condition but I want them to match. Stripped the stock and applied BLO (5 coats) but I do not think it's going to match up.

I'm worried about stripping the forearm since it's original and looks great. However, I would like them to match. All photos I see of the old 97s look like a dark walnut finish.

Thoughts?
I would sure want to take a look at it first but I'm imagining BLO is probably not your your original finish to the forend. It will darken and slightly yellow over time and with five coats on it I hope you allowed proper drying time in between. The first coat if not diluted with an evaporator can take up to a month to cure depending on weather...
I know that's not real helpful to you now but let's see a picture

I would sure want to take a look at it first but I'm imagining BLO is probably not your your original finish to the forend. It will darken and slightly yellow over time and with five coats on it I hope you allowed proper drying time in between. The first coat if not diluted with an evaporator can take up to a month to cure depending on weather...
I know that's not real helpful to you now but let's see a picture
Thanks for the reply...I will post some up.

I got a color sample from Savage Stevens and the color is early American..
20200126_100956.jpg

That's what I was thinking. I've re-finished a few M1 carbines and M1 Garands using the 1 a day for 5 days, 1 a week for a month, 1 a month for a year. They've always turned out nice my the month mark. I've always done a complete set and not just one part.

By the way, good looking work.

Back
Top Bottom