• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Date that will Live in Infamy

We were there from 94-97, and the 1995 "50th Anniversary" of the end of the war was a big deal. They had one Zero, and two WW2 US planes (F6F and F41?) do a "fly over". Those three planes were soooo loud, it gave me occasion to think about what the men at Pearl felt that day when they heard hundreds of IJN planes coming in.

I did the wreath laying on Dec 7th. It is very moving. A huge number of Japanese come to pay their respects and express their apologies each year also.

The US Navy used to have active duty sailors on the shuttle boats to explain details of the events of Dec 7th, and the current condition of the Arizona, like the "tears of the Arizona" being oil that is still leaking up from the ship. Now there's a pre- recorded soundtrack.

Lastly, there is a very sensitive sonar system that detects anyone or anything under the water trying to get to the Arizona. I have no idea where it is, or how it works, but it has prevented the curious and other more nefarious persons ("souvenir" hunters?) from diving anywhere near the ship.

My lovely wife has a great uncle buried at the "Punchbowl" cemetery on Ohau.

The USS Missouri ( Mighty Mo )

View attachment 1900400 View attachment 1900401

The Arizona Memorial seen from the bridge of the USS Missouri
View attachment 1900402

This plaque marks the spot on the deck of the Mighty Mo where the surrender was signed.
View attachment 1900403

This is a post card showing an ariel view of the Mighty Mo and the Memorial
View attachment 1900404
My father was in a B-29 flying in formation above the Missouri when the surrender was being signed. He was a gunner in the 468th squadron of the 20th Air Force and went on 27 combat missions during the war and 7 "show of force" missions after the surrender.

My father was in a B-29 flying in formation above the Missouri when the surrender was being signed. He was a gunner in the 768th squadron of the 20th Air Force and went on 27 combat missions during the war and 7 "show of force" missions after the surrender.

Amazing. Thanks for sharing this.

I was there last year (but not for the 7th).
The day I visited was gloomy/raining, but I caught a rainbow over the Arizona and descending to the Missouri.
(The upper sections of the Mo were covered for renovation.)
USSMissouriRainbow.jpg

Back
Top Bottom