• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A failed attempt to have a rational discussion of gun values

Lionheart

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
En vino veritas
210   0
Reaction score
Ok, after reading the latest price rant thread I am going to take the bull by the horns and start a price thread that rather than COMPLAINING about high prices...is going to open a positive, constructive discussion on fair prices for a specific firearm.
We have in our membership a WEALTH of expertise on specific firearms.
Many of us use the Blue Book of Gun Values and/or the Completed Transactions section on Gunbroker to get an idea of a gun's value. Neither of these are completely accurate...too many variables. As an example, a rare or collectible gun will USUALLY bring more when exposed to a national market rather than the smaller market of the ODT, unless the seller gets lucky and a major collector of his gun happens to be an active ODT member. Gun prices are also regional...what's popular in upstate New York or in Idaho may not bring the same value in Georgia.
So, without further adeu let's begin...say with one of the more popular guns on the ODT.

Glock 19, gen 4. LNIB

* $525 Ok price...about what you pay at LGS. Not a great deal either.
** $500 The standard.
*** $475 Pretty good deal. If it's close, buy it.
**** $450 or less. Jump on it...get in the truck.

What say ye Glock guys about above?

Now, wouldn't it be cool if we had this kind of range for every gun? And if sellers had a sticky thread to go to before posting a price to look up their gun before listing? Or to post pics and description asking for advice on pricing?

I'll give a personal example. I have a listing now for a Troy battle chassis that I got on trade with a SOCOM II (which I have already sold). I really have no idea what the Troy is worth, except finding the new one on the Troy website. What does a used one go for? I have no idea.

So I'm asking for help in pricing this thing ...a decent cash price and/or trade value.
:pop2:

I would say the prices above are pretty accurate as a $450 or less Glock pops up, I will find money for it lol. As for the Troy Chassis, I'm in the same boat with you as far as pricing only bc you don't see that many pop up. So I would say the basic knock a couple bucks off retail and have at it. I think a thread like this is honestly NEEDED. Good Post!

But But But I spent $800 on Zev accessories and ported the slide. Don't forget the amazing custom stipple job. Maybe yours is worth $500 but mine is now worth $1,000 minimum.

Actually, this is a good post. And needs discussion. If, as I was, Someone is getting into 3-gun competition and I am looking for a Glock 34 then a Zev trigger and other upgrades are worth something to me. I can either buy a stock 34 and pay for upgrades myself or buy someone else's gun that is already good to go.
However, when I'm selling a customized gun it is my experience that the mods are only worth at most .50c on the dollar. So, a Glock 34 with all the 3-gun upgrades is desirable...I'm just not gonna pay full retail.
To me, whether it's cars, guns or girls....whenever I decide to do custom mods I gotta plan on losing my ass when I sell.

There is no used Glock on the planet worth over $400.

Well, on one hand I agree that used guns are not worth the same as a new one. But I'm not sure a 25% to 30% discount is correct in every circumstance either. If I was looking for a new 19 and my best price I could find was $525 out the door...and you had the same gun, unfired in the box, then I would be happy to pay you $450 and save $75. But that's me. To each his own.

Back
Top Bottom