• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

a little ruger 10/22 help please

Moondog1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
183   0
Reaction score
Hey ya'll, I picked up this 10/22 tacticool model back in january hoping to re-make that awesome gun I had when I was younger, but I feel like I shouldn't have bought this tactical model because it doesn't come with any iron sites. My problem is I want iron sites, I can hit a 8x11 sheet of paper at 100 yards with my scope but when I want to get my dog a snack at 15-30 yards I shoot either an inch high or inch low and don't really want to lose my 100 yard scope accuracy. I also don't want to buy a $300 barrel for a $200 gun, my barrel works just fine, I'm just the kind of guy that likes iron sites. what are my options? would non see through scope rings work better getting the scope closer to the rifle? would that eliminate some of my problem? any help is greatly appreciated.

The easiest fix is to get a set of backup AR style sights, take them to a decent smith, have him drill, tap and attach a front sight rail to the barrel that allows the iron sights to cowitness with most red dots. Magpul makes some inexpensive BUS and there are others to pick and choose from. With red dots you get what you pay for but the cheaper ones under a 100 bucks are often fine for .22 LR. The problem is most of the cheaper dots are 3-5 inches in size at 100 yds. However, if you pick one up that has a variety of reticules other than just a dot you will find that some have a circle or a circle with crosshairs. The inner diameter of circle is open and is perfect size for a squirrel head.

You could set up the dot or the scope for longer ranges and set your iron sights for closer work. The threaded flash hider can be removed an a suppressor attached. While not legal for hunting as far as I'm aware, it is often good to for "pest control".

"When zeroed for 100 yards (91 m), the trajectory of the standard high-velocity .22 LR with a 40-grain (2.6 g) bullet has a 2.7-inch (69 mm) rise at 50 yards (46 m), and 10.8 inches (270 mm) drop at 150 yards (140 m)".

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the tactical model itself, but it would be fairly easy to get a used OEM barrel with sights (the market rate is $30 or so) and simply do a straight swap.

Honestly, as inexpensive as the standard 10/22's are I would just buy another and keep the tactical one just the way you have it.

I have a factory barrel, you can have it for $30.00

Dang good price! I don't think a smith could drill and tap a hole in a barrel for less, unless you did it yourself. However, the standard Ruger barrel is not threaded (suppressor/flash hider) unlike the tactical model that eyeof3b3..... All hell the OP has!

That is a good price! if I can justify going to to canton sometime soon I will buy that from you. Oh and I did get a fix for my short range problem. Ruger MKIII works great lol. picked it up yesterday from CCW on here.

Back
Top Bottom