• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A new adult trying to figure out the world

Keiop_Kurnfield

EMT
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
Sup y'all. Born and raised in NW Georgia, weekend warrior combat medic that got out of AIT last year, and trying to figure out wtf to do with my life lmao. Here to learn and absorb some wisdom on how the world works and to meet some chill people. Would also like to learn more with the medical knowledge and/or general first responder field as that's what I've been getting into and what's always been an interest of mine since elementary school. Hope to absorb some wisdom/knowledge from y'all.

Sup y'all. Born and raised in NW Georgia, weekend warrior combat medic that got out of AIT last year, and trying to figure out wtf to do with my life lmao. Here to learn and absorb some wisdom on how the world works and to meet some chill people. Would also like to learn more with the medical knowledge and/or general first responder field as that's what I've been getting into and what's always been an interest of mine since elementary school. Hope to absorb some wisdom/knowledge from y'all.
Welcome aboard!!! Come to the odt range day soon and come meet some of these crazy fockers

You're in a good field with a good mindset. You could get in with the fire or LE Dept. Pay close attention to the benefits as they are drastically different between departments. I don't know how much side jobs you can get with the fire Dept. But if you get on the right LE agency, you can gets lots of extra work. I imagine it's easy to work overtime in either. You could do a dual career in military and fire/LE. At the end of your tour you would have 2 pensions. That is sweet. Above all start saving for retirement now. Hopefully you've already started. Get into as many Roth programs as you can. You'll be so glad you did when the time comes. Good luck

You're in a good field with a good mindset. You could get in with the fire or LE Dept. Pay close attention to the benefits as they are drastically different between departments. I don't know how much side jobs you can get with the fire Dept. But if you get on the right LE agency, you can gets lots of extra work. I imagine it's easy to work overtime in either. You could do a dual career in military and fire/LE. At the end of your tour you would have 2 pensions. That is sweet. Above all start saving for retirement now. Hopefully you've already started. Get into as many Roth programs as you can. You'll be so glad you did when the time comes. Good luck
I started EMS with Central doing non-911 transports in Atlanta and Forsyth county which was anything from taking grandma back to the nursing home after she fell, to psych/prisoner transports, to ALS transports, to organ transports. Did that for a year after I got back from training. Was fun and I feel a good stepping stone but not what I wanted to do forever, however I "enjoyed", for a lack of a better word, whenever we would pull up on wrecks and actually got to do some 911 work so I'm going to continue to pursue that, however I don't know if its going to be 911 EMS or LEO, always wanted to be with my local sheriff's department, they are cool from what I've seen and heard of. I do got a good chunk of my military check going into retirement funds already, think i've already got a grand saved. Unsure when/where my unit's next deployment is going to be, but eager for it none-the-less. Central didn't care about overtime at all, infact went into double-time pay a few times when I was working for them lmao, I've heard its the same for a lot of other private/county EMS, unsure on the specifics on LEO but I've been told I can easily pick up doing security or other similar side gigs while working as a LEO.

Welcome , I spent 36 years in fire service. I worked 2 jobs most of the time but enjoyed it till the end. Pick a place that has a good retirement plan cause it comes quicker than you expect. Some departments have transport ambulances if you want to go that route. There are higher paying jobs out there but not more rewarding

I started EMS with Central doing non-911 transports in Atlanta and Forsyth county which was anything from taking grandma back to the nursing home after she fell, to psych/prisoner transports, to ALS transports, to organ transports. Did that for a year after I got back from training. Was fun and I feel a good stepping stone but not what I wanted to do forever, however I "enjoyed", for a lack of a better word, whenever we would pull up on wrecks and actually got to do some 911 work so I'm going to continue to pursue that, however I don't know if its going to be 911 EMS or LEO, always wanted to be with my local sheriff's department, they are cool from what I've seen and heard of. I do got a good chunk of my military check going into retirement funds already, think i've already got a grand saved. Unsure when/where my unit's next deployment is going to be, but eager for it none-the-less. Central didn't care about overtime at all, infact went into double-time pay a few times when I was working for them lmao, I've heard its the same for a lot of other private/county EMS, unsure on the specifics on LEO but I've been told I can easily pick up doing security or other similar side gigs while working as a LEO.
You're on the right path, just keep the faith.....Looks like you already have a good handle on things. Your right about all the above

Back
Top Bottom