• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A newbies breakdown on reloading cost...

jjrock

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
64   0
Reaction score
Thanks to the good folks here on the trader I have successfully loaded my first 250 rounds. I just wanted to share my outcome with you guys and maybe another newbie might be able to gain something from it as well.

Through just three transactions with fellow members I was able to acquire everything I needed for reloading except the hand primer. Here is the breakdown;
Breech lock press, Lee die set, digital scale, bullet puller, 1/2 LB powder, tumbler, ABCs of reloading book, pocket cleaner, auto disk powder measure, 700 brass cases, 1100 large pistol primers, and 500 lead bullets. --- For a total cost of $360​
From retail shops I bought;
Another 2000 primers, shell holders, hand primer and a manual powder measure kit. --- for a total cost of $163​

Once I've finished up with my box of projectiles my cost per round is $1.05/round (523/500).

To load more, all I need is more projectiles and some more powder after about another 250 rounds or so. If I'm able to find powder ($25) and order 1000 projectiles from Missouri Bullet company ($100), and load those 1000 rounds my cost is down to $0.43/round (648/1500) and I will have then about broke even not counting labor opportunity cost of course. Subsequent loads I will actually be saving money versus buying retail ammo!!!

I enjoy the loading process and it is satisfying shooting your own ammo. The only problem is that this is quickly becoming an addiction just like my firearm addiction. I am already eyeing turret presses and Dillon presses which will save time and of course enable me to reload more!

Thanks again to everyone's help with getting me started!

How about a handloader calculator to help out....http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

That is pretty cool. The initial cost of getting setup was really what got me thinking tonight so I just wanted to figure out how many rounds until I actually break even after buying all the stuff to get set up. I will be bookmarking the calculator though!

I bought a lee turrent press and it only took loading 2000 rounds to save enough to offset the cost of the press and has been saving me money for the last 2 years. Should have started reloading years ago!

I have had most all my reloading stuff for 30+ years. So it's paid for itself many times over. And I have got 1,000's of hours of enjoyment out of reloading. I plan to load a couple hundred rounds of 357 Sig tomorrow while it rains allday.

I went with simple math... first round cost $750. Every one after that was like 0.12.

Kidding mostly- I got a decent deal on a Dillon 550RL awhile ago. Ran a hand-me-down single stage press for ten years before that. I'm loading some 9mm for under 8 cents per round because I found a bunch of frangible 90 grain 9mm bullets on clearance for between 2 and 3 cents each. Even regular plated bullets make for a substantial savings over factory ammo. And projectiles don't run out nearly as fast as bullets from Wally World when the panic hits. Primers on the other hand, I would stockpile those and powder.

Back
Top Bottom