• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A slight change in tune of my opinion on the 380.

I have always said that the 380 is insufficient for self defense. Some of you may already know that. :rolleyes:

However, there is now a 380 ACP bullet that falls within the FBI standard for SD. The 90 grain Hornady XTP at 1000fps MV. It is the only bullet in the 380 that will consistently meet the FBI standard of penetration between 12 and 18 inches while still achieving full expansion. This applies in ballistics gel and gel with four layers of denim up front. The energy is still very low, but at least it does the damage called for in a permanent wound channel.

I will no longer scoff at your foolishness for carrying a 380 ACP for SD... as long as this is your bullet of choice.

See, even I can change my mind. :yo:

Well then , I'm glad my 380 carry ammo is bear44 approved ...lol

I have always said that the 380 is insufficient for self defense. Some of you may already know that. :rolleyes:

However, there is now a 380 ACP bullet that falls within the FBI standard for SD. The 90 grain Hornady XTP at 1000fps MV. It is the only bullet in the 380 that will consistently meet the FBI standard of penetration between 12 and 18 inches while still achieving full expansion. This applies in ballistics gel and gel with four layers of denim up front. The energy is still very low, but at least it does the damage called for in a permanent wound channel.

I will no longer scoff at your foolishness for carrying a 380 ACP for SD... as long as this is your bullet of choice.

See, even I can change my mind. :yo:

Was it tested out of a mouse gun? What if they used something with a 4+" barrel and you can't achieve the same results out of a lcp length barrel?

Reactions: MRH
The HST is a great bullet 9mm and up. The 147 or 150 grain is my subsonic bullet of choice in 9mm. In the 380 it consistently either under penetrates (around 8 inches) or clogs through cloth and doesn't expand well at all.
The part where you mentioning it clogs through cloth reminds me of an article by Mossad Ayoob ( spell check please) from decades ago where he tried to settle the age old 9mm versus 45 ACP debate. In short he said it depends on what season it is. In the summer he claimed to carry a Smith single stack 9mm for ease of concealment and since potential attackers would likely be in shorts and T shirts. But in winter he went back to carrying some type of 45ACP. The reason was that winter clothing would be layered and most likely clog the cavity of any hollow point essentially turning it into a plain round nose projectile. And given that fact he chose to carry the larger caliber round nose projectile.
I don't own a 380 at this time but there are several of them I really like. The Bersa guns would be near the top of the list. I wish they would offer the Thunder series 380 in a lighter polymer frame.

My choice for .380 is a Beretta 84BB - 13 round mag. plus one in the pipe - lightly used Israeli police surplus.
pix260651683.jpg

Whew! How timely. With warmer weather approaching I was thinking about switching from the CZ to pocket carrying a Walther. But I kept telling myself "Self, no can do, Bear won't approve." I was sad and conflicted. :sad:
But now.... I feel like I'm running naked with my shrimp boots on! :whoo: :dance:
Thanks Bear! ;)

Back
Top Bottom