• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A slight change in tune of my opinion on the 380.

I have used the Hornady XTP for quite a while in my 380 Sig 238. now I reload mine and not to 1000 FPS, actually around 900-925 gives me the best expansion/ penetration.
lets remember now that first the ballistic gel is a test, and only a test and not a human.
Bal Gel doesn't scream and holler and run away, it doesn't go into shock and it bleeds very little.
plus penetration/expansion is only a part of FBI requirements.
I don't think anyone I know would want to be shot with any modern expanding projectile in the 380 however, if you don't have faith in your caliber of choice there are plenty of others to choose from.
I have no problem carrying the 380 , usually as a BUG but at times its all I have on me.
my advice is carry something that's reliable and something that has a good number of bullets.

Well, they claim to use the XTP projectile and they also claim a MV of 1,005 fps...they are used brass but I've never had an issue with their stuff.

SKU FM380X90R
ACTIVITY GENERAL PURPOSE, SELF-DEFENSE
CALIBER 380 AUTO
BULLET PROFILE XTP®
CASING TYPE NICKEL AND/OR BRASS
MANUFACTURER FREEDOM MUNITIONS
VELOCITY AVG 1005 FPS

I may have to try some next time I place an order.

Oh, and their shipping is SLOOOOOOOOW so don't get in a hurry - you pay a price for their cheap prices.

I wince at anyone claiming 1000 FPS out of a mouse gun in 380.
maybe a 4-5-6 inch barrel?--test barrel/ universal receiver.
in any regard Fiocchi loads the XTP and from factory statements the exact same loading as Hornady and its about 30-35% cheaper.

The only reason I don't own a .380 ACP anymore is consolidation of calibers and the ammo generally cost more than 9mm. That being said, my G19 is loaded with Hornady 135gr Critical Duty but my 4" Wilson 1911 is loaded with 200gr Hornady XTP HP's. Hornady makes some of the best factory ammo on the planet, always accurate and I've never had a malfunction of any kind with Hornady ammo.

GO back a few more years and look at Super Vel.
they kind of got the others on the band wagon.
That was the only brand my Dad would carry in his .38 & .357 mag revolvers when he was a LEO back in the 70's & 80's. I still have a box or two of it he had left over when he passed.

I don't leave the house without my 42 or 43. I carry the 42 loaded with Federal 90g Hydro-shock, but will get some of the XTP rounds. I carry the heaviest 9mm hollow points in my 9's, usually 147 grain. I have always been a firm believer in a heavy defensive round.

Not a dig at you Soviet...

I get tickled when folks talk about shot placement in a life or death situation.

Other than a few military that have been exposed to multiple life and death situations numerous times, no matter how realistic the training it will not prepare you enough to just be calm and collected enough to have "Propper shot placement"
Shop placement while ducking running and screaming like a ***** is much harder than punching holes in a little target.

And trust me you will do and say stuff you never imagined when (if) the time comes.
That's what I've always thought. Never been in that kinda of a situation and hopefully never will but if something ever happens in the home and I have to protect the wife and I and I don't at least put a few in the ceiling I would figure I was doing / did pretty good

Back
Top Bottom