• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Smith no-dash treasure fell into my lap today by total surprise.

GeorgiaShooter

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
43   0
Reaction score
One of my mentors and best friends was a marine, cop, SWAT, DEA, PS and even border patrol over about a 40+ year career. I did some gun work for him and his son today and I never charge him or rarely charge LE. We visited and had great conversations, he's in late 80s but sharp as a tack and looks 20 years younger than he is. My heart thumped and eyes bugged when he pulled out this blue surprise and said Christmas is early. He wanted it to find a good home. He explained the original intent when it was issued and the whole story from the perspective of someone who was there. He said they soon learned it was too heavy to carry all day so they transitioned to model 19s soon after and this one stored for over 50 years. Sounded like the model 57 was somewhat of an experiment at the time. Serial number is a few over 239K which might be among the very first made in 1964. No dash pinned recessed and tight as a new gun. Another never sell roscoe with a fine story from the original owner. I'll be firing it about once a year with family on holidays. I've been looking at the 2-3 brands of ammo available and trying to learn how to feed it and more of the history. Any knowledge of loads and history is appreciated.

1649632837158.png

Back
Top Bottom