• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

Factory release assembly from a Stag Arms. Broke during normal use.
6615B403-7B70-4924-8387-0E8E4960A663.jpeg

FFS, if you purchase an AR with an adjustable gas block, or for some reason build one with an adjustable gas block, please read and follow the directions for setting the gas block when you shoot it for the first time. I can’t count how many times I’ve had folks that have a non-functioning AR, and it turns out to be because they have not properly adjusted the gas block.

I believe the pistol buffer tubes are the reason you are seeing receiver plates with the indexing notch ground away. Some of them do not have a castle nut, just a shoulder and cannot be used with a traditional receiver plate.

I believe the pistol buffer tubes are the reason you are seeing receiver plates with the indexing notch ground away. Some of them do not have a castle nut, just a shoulder and cannot be used with a traditional receiver plate.

The pistol tubes that I’m used to seeing have a groove for the tab on the receiver end plate.

Customer came in and had me pull part his .308 upper and swap the Aero rail and barrel nut for an SLR setup. He said it had been assembled at a local shop.

The gas block and barrel were drilled for a cross pin, but no pin was present. The set screws were tightened down, but the barrel wasn’t dimpled. The barrel had a nitride finish, which is very hard.....much harder than the set screws. This means the screws didn’t bite in and eventually the gas block would shift.

He said I would probably have a hard time removing his muzzle device/suppressor mount, as the other shop had “installed and timed it”. It wasn’t timed, no shims were present, and I was able to remove it easily. When I did, there was no Rocksett (the preferred method) or red Loctite (#2). Threads were clean and dry. If he had shot it with his suppressor, the muzzle device would have stayed in his can and come off when he removed it.

Not sure exactly what he got charged for at the other shop......

If he had shot it with his suppressor, the muzzle device would have stayed in his can and come off when he removed it.

So you're saying that the other shop prevented him from losing his muzzle device, ensuring that it was always easy to find inside his suppressor. Sounds like a feature, not a flaw. :)

Back
Top Bottom