• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

Customer: On my AR, the bolt locks to rear on an empty mag when you fire the last shot, but it won’t lock to the rear when I manually operate the bolt catch. What’s the problem?

Me: You. You’re the problem. You’re either pushing the wrong part of the bolt catch, you’re not pushing it hard enough, or you’re releasing the bolt catch too soon.

Customer: Could it be the detent?

Me: No. It’s you. If it operates with an empty mag, it has to operate manually.

I told him that if he wanted to bring it in, I’d be happy to show him how to operate his bolt catch.

"I know guns, especially these M16s, and I'm telling you, somethings broke on this one. Every time I try to lock that bolt open the magazine falls out. It can't be me, it must be the gun. Dang BCM - I knew I shoulda bought a Colt."

"I know guns, especially these M16s, and I'm telling you, somethings broke on this one. Every time I try to lock that bolt open the magazine falls out. It can't be me, it must be the gun. Dang BCM - I knew I shoulda bought a Colt."

this is the only post that has ever actually made me mad

Don’t mix Coors Light, guns, and at least 1 squib round.
542B1596-7864-4B15-B05E-69D7F7F301D1.jpeg

Recent outing with friends and everyone now has some type of AR and someone's always has a problem. Buddy bought a complete upper from a local gun shop and said sometimes it jams ( I hate that word). I'm not an armorer or gunsmith but I'm good enough on ARs to catch the obvious. No markings on the upper, the handguard, only 5.56 on the barrel and Anderson on the gas block. Everything looked right. Pulled the bcg, no names or identifying marks and DRY as a bone. I showed him how to grease it, I like alg 0000 grease and sent him off to shoot. No more issues.

Second buddy asks me to look over his, its brand new. Well he pulls out a DDM4V7. I also show him how to lube the bcg and send it. Not often a non gun person drags out a decent gun.

All that said to say I think the gun problems are going to get worse until the supply catches back up on decent parts and the guys that know how to assemble them.

Don’t mix Coors Light, guns, and at least 1 squib round.
View attachment 3290210

"Dang it! I'm so drunk I can't hit NUTHIN! I ain't got one hole in that paper!"

But just think of the grouping he could have gotten if he had just one round that would push them all out! He could dispatch like a dozen zombies at once!

Back
Top Bottom