• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

Factory Stag Arms. Was not reliably ejecting.

Gas block was installed crooked from the factory. I pulled it apart, dimpled the barrel, and reinstalled the gas block with new screws and Rocksett. She'll run now.
621E8BF2-4BA0-4A0D-9AE6-49B25A56FA12.jpeg
9C65341F-1548-4B81-9965-2B69433116BC.jpeg

I guess I was under the false assumption that all the gun manufacturers test fired their respective weapons after assembly before shipping and sale. It seems like many are slipping through the process without being caught.

I worked on 2 different AR’s today that had been been built by, or worked on by, a ‘smith at others shops. Both were totally FUBAR’ed.

A USGI castle nut is supposed to be torqued at 30-80ft/lbs. One wasn’t even close. It was so loose that I could actually pull the barrel forward, away from the receiver, far enough to feel it. The only thing holding it in place was the piston rod (in place of a gas tube).

On the same gun, the gas block was glued or Loctited to the barrel. I had to soak it in Kroil, and hit it with the heat gun, then use a punch and hammer to drive the gas block off the barrel.
506A2EDA-ACBD-4247-9B1B-9B5968ED9005.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom