• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

And that is why I'm wary of any handloads; even from family.
I recently visited one of my uncles, he gave me approx 200 45acp rounds that he loaded....as I was getting in my truck, he said - "Those rounds should be good for target practice, but you may want to use something else for your carry ammo....I think I may have forgotten the powder in a few of them!"

Dick butt you say? I’ll just take your word for it. Lol
dickbutt.png

I need a good trigger for one of my 300 BO SBR's. This particular one is the worst mil spec trigger I have. Are the drop ins even close to a or SSA or SDC?

Customer came in with a .300Blk built from BCM components for him by a shop in VA.

Not exactly sure why they hammered or clamped on the gas block like this.

F15123CE-AD91-43AA-B4B8-27561D02896A.jpeg

BCM receivers have to be thermal-fitted for the barrel extension to fit into the receiver. They are tight, but heating it (I use a heat gun) will expand the aluminum and allow the barrel extension to fit in. I will grease the barrel extension with AerShell 64, as well.

My best guess is that the dumbass that installed this barrel used a steel hammer to drive the barrel into the receiver, by beating on the muzzle of the barrel. The crown is battered, and lopsided. In this pic, you can see that the crown is lower on the left than on the right.

B42F2E4A-1A47-4CAA-B660-8D360AAE1D02.jpeg

I had a pic of the crown itself, but it didn’t turn out.

The crown is so misshapen that the rounds are tumbling.

Boggles the mind that someone that is only capable of this level of work would hang a shingle and charge folks for this.

I’ll admit that I’ve messed up parts before when working on someone’s firearm. I’ve always gone out of my way to make it right, oftentimes ending up losing money in the process. If it’s my fault, I should be the one to bear the penalty.

The owner is attempting to get the shop that did the work to replace all his parts. I told him that if he ended up being stuck with the barrel, I could have my partner re-crown it so it’s perfect.

Back
Top Bottom