• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

20" .308 on top.

18" .308 on bottom.

Both are supposed to be rifle length gas system.

Top one has the shoulder/gas port located .25" too far forward. Means not enough gas tube seal in the gas key, so it was short stroking.

Unknown manufacturer, but I’ve seen identical style barrel markings on numerous cheap, problem barrels in the past year or so. When I ask the owners where they bought them, they all say, “Some guy at the gun show.”

8942AC7E-1A4F-4015-8954-6F70D7082163.jpeg

Barrels and bolts are THE places people should be putting money into with their “builds”. I always like to see builds with nice muzzle devices, furniture, cerakote, etc but the functional components are garbage and the gun ends up being a paper weight. 🙄
And all topped with some POS optic of some sort

Wilson Combat 5.56 barrel, with factory dimple. The dimple is located improperly, which caused the gas block to be canted and the gas ports in the barrel and gas block to be offset.

Additionally, the dimple is very small, the screw wouldn’t sit down in it, and consequently the gas block rolled to one side and slid forward over 1/8”.

After I took this picture, I dimpled the barrel properly, and installed new set screws.

B5A6A258-B642-43E8-AF06-031261C7D4A5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom