• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Dogs........Rant Warning!

MNRSports

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
10   0
Reaction score
So....

Our young adult daughter needed "a reset" to get some financial and living condition situations sorted out. So the first of the year she asked us if she could just temporarily move back home to help get things squared away without having to worry so much about it all. Of-course we said yes. She's been on her own for about three years and has worked hard at being fully independent and self reliant. So, her Mom and I wanted to down play how ecstatic we were and not overload her with attention and affection. Understanding that it was difficult for her to ask we wanted to make the transition real simple, real smooth, and not over hyped. It went well.

Enter Thing #1 (the first dog)
Days before her scheduled move in date she texted me to make sure we were letting her dog move in with her rather than having to make temporary arrangements otherwise. Of-course again we said yes. A little background is needed here. The dog in question is a rescue with some of the issues that can come from such. In this case separation anxiety from her human. The poor little dog was totally without companionship as a puppy and young adult. When the county found her she was infected with mites and fleas, and her neck skin had grown into her collar. As a result of the mites in her ears she went permanently deaf. Did I mention her breed.....half pit bull terrier and half jack russell terrier! Oh my. We'll let me just tell you, she got all of the super athleticism of a jack russell and the strength and tenacity of a pit bull. She really got the best qualities of both breeds in one small package (about 25 to 30 lbs).

Well, I knew the key to helping our daughter was to make sure her dog got settled in. I could tell she (daughter) was apprehensive about the dog bothering us or anything. She set up her crate in her room first thing and said that she (the dog) could just stay in there while the move was going on and she was coming and going. The second she (daugher) walked out of the house after dropping the dog off, I heard the most pitiful howl I've ever heard from a dog. Now understand, this dog does not know us. We've only been around her fleeting times. I went and got the dog and started immediately trying to help her adjust to her new surroundings. My wife who is not a dog or pet person whatsoever was at a complete loss as to what to do. Fast forward within 24 hours she was settling down nicely. After a couple days I asked my daughter if she thought the dog was happy and ok and she said yes. Not wanting to step on any boundaries I asked if it was ok with her if a bond developed between me and her dog. Again, Ok. So the little dog was house trained and not a chewer. She is extremely smart and quickly learned what was ok and what was off limits (which was not much). She was already trained using basic sign language and responds greatly to body language. So she had free reign to roam her new house and lounge where she pleased. I had checked the integrity of the fence in the back yard and looked for potential hazards, so she had a yard for the first time in her life to roam and explore on her own without being leashed. Having lots of energy and inquisitiveness, I did not limit her engagement to the back yard however. She also got evening walks around the neighborhood which was funny. We kept her harness and leash in a designated place. So I developed a couple simple actions that would alert her that we were about to go for a walk, go near the leash, and she would start grunting, doing circles, then sit nicely while trying to get her head into the harness as fast as possible. Once harnessed she would run to the front door, sit, and grunt for me to come on so we could go explore. I would do this every evening and it was such a pleasure seeing her excitement and enjoyment of such a simple thing. Fetch in the backyard, tug a war in the living room, all sorts of fun games and antics. Our daughter would typically leave her door cracked open at night so the dog could come and go and sleep in shifts with us all. My wife even enjoyed how cuddly she is. However, I did not like having to leave the bathroom door cracked so she wouldn't howl if she couldn't come in (if nobody else was home). Trying to poop with a dog staring at you while sitting on your foot took a bit of getting used to. As did getting her to stop poking her head in the shower (we're talking about the dog here of-course).

Enter Thing #2 (the second dog)
A couple weeks into this new situation, the daughter told us that her boyfriends living situation was not going well and his dog was not in a good environment. She asked if his dog could move in (and later her boyfriend but that's a whole other story - didn't happen). Of-course again, we said yes to the dog. Similar situation. A rescue dog who was born deaf. Half pit bull and half german shepard. She looks like a miniature white german shepard with over sized ears that look like bat ears, and a extra long tail that has a mind of its own....as in the mind of a out of control helicopter propeller. Well, suffice it to say we just rinsed and repeated and she immediately came to love her new home and friends too.

So here we are. Her reset time has been successful and is now coming to a close.
She has her personal business sorted out and now has a new plan moving forward. We've helped her with the harder stuff. She's moving in with a long time friend that she's had since middle school. Her friend just bought a house so they will be able to each benefit from the arrangement. The boyfriend is moving in as well. And of-course, her dogs.

So we are about to go through the awful transition of empty nesters for a second time. I can't say how much better I have slept these last three months knowing she (daughter) was home and safe and sound. I can't believe how strong the bonds between her Mom and I with her dogs have become. Sadly, my wife and I agreed a couple days ago....the daughter has to chart her own course and move on. Can we please keep the dogs! NO, I didn't actually ask. She adores her dogs and is really great with them, always been like that.
The first two pics are Thing #1. The third pic is Thing #2.
So ends three months of absolute daily joy, times 3. Honestly it's going to break our hearts tonight when we take the dogs over to their new house. Yeah we'll get to see them sometimes and the daughter says she'll bring them over for visits. All sounds good but I know we're really saying goodbye to the little doggies. Well, someone just brought me her tennis ball so I think I'll go play a bit while I still can. End of rant.

Attachments

• IMG_20190415_150951.jpg
    IMG_20190415_150951.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20190415_151050.jpg
    IMG_20190415_151050.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20190520_004913.jpg
    IMG_20190520_004913.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 81
I know how you feel sir...dogs are better than most people. ...as for the deafness in white dogs...I'm afraid my daisy is slowly getting hard to hear sometimes and it's sad...hopefully I'm wrong...she half border collie and half american bulldog

Back
Top Bottom