• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A typical rifle barrel is worn out in 5-10 seconds of use

I've heard that match barrels wear out faster. Is that true compared to a normal riffle? What is the difference between the two?

Match barrels are supposedly tighter with stricter tolerances and generally made out of an alloy designed to dissipate heat faster but might be slightly softer than your typical barrel because of it.

or at least thats my understanding

does that mean a slower velocity bullet would wear the barrel out quicker since it takes longer to leave the barrel ? how about 5 vs 6 groove. i wonder if he was using lead or copper or poly coated bullets. theres a lot more variables then explained there isn't there ? still, some toast with this coffee would be great

nope still the same amount of surface contact just different time it takes to do it. I would imagine the poly coated bullets would last longer but that's just a guess.

I've heard that match barrels wear out faster. Is that true compared to a normal riffle? What is the difference between the two?

they are tighter so your getting more surface contact over the full length of the barrel, also they will have tighter specs for being "shot out". a standard barrel may not be considered shot out until your getting really bad accuracy and keyholeing issues whereas a match barrel could be considered shot out once its grouping opens up to more than 1moa, all subjective

While a stainless barrel will show signs of wear faster than a chrome lined CMV barrel. What really drives the "worn out" standard for a long range match shooter is the ability of the barrel to hold a tight group. A 0.5 MOA delta in grouping can be the difference in first place or first looser, while a 4150 CMV barreled carbine shooter wouldn't even notice the shift. I wouldn't even begin to catch on until the barrel groupings open up well beyond 4 MOA. So for me a 1 MOS shift would go unnoticed, while a match shooter would have already thrown his barrel in the trash.

While a stainless barrel will show signs of wear faster than a chrome lined CMV barrel. What really drives the "worn out" standard for a long range match shooter is the ability of the barrel to hold a tight group. A 0.5 MOA delta in grouping can be the difference in first place or first looser, while a 4150 CMV barreled carbine shooter wouldn't even notice the shift. I wouldn't even begin to catch on until the barrel groupings open up well beyond 4 MOA. So for me a 1 MOS shift would go unnoticed, while a match shooter would have already thrown his barrel in the trash.

I'm in the same boat. After about 15-20k rounds down range with my range officer it still shoots better than I can

Back
Top Bottom