• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A typical rifle barrel is worn out in 5-10 seconds of use

Well, I don't know about all this "match barrel" crap, but I'll tell you that my tube feed 1950 JC Higgins Model 30 Semi-auto .22 rifle with built-in sling will still shoot a gnat off a dog's pecker at 100 yards all day long; and I'm sure that it's had way more than 5,000 rounds down the pipe in it's 67 year lifetime.

Well, I don't know about all this "match barrel" crap, but I'll tell you that my tube feed 1950 JC Higgins Model 30 Semi-auto .22 rifle with built-in sling will still shoot a gnat off a dog's pecker at 100 yards all day long; and I'm sure that it's had way more than 5,000 rounds down the pipe in it's 67 year lifetime.
How do you get the dog to stand still? :confused:

Cool article. I discussed it with friends last night. One of them has a neighbor who built a .30 caliber based on a necked down .416 Rigby, I think. He pushed a 180 grain bullet to 4100 feet per second. Barrel life was about 300 rounds. Even he agreed this barrel life was too low.

He now uses a necked down Winchester short magnum to push a 7mm bullet to the same velocity, and the barrel lasts 500 rounds, which is acceptable to him.

His barrels last very few seconds, indeed.

The linked article is about high powered rifle calibers ONLY.......not .22LR. Lot less powder in a .22LR case.

If you explored the page I linked, there is an article by Dan Lilja that mentions .22LR, where he states a figure of 10,000rds and more for that rimfire. He states he has seen an Anschutz .22LR barrel that was finally losing accuracy at 200,000 rounds.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...barrel-last-dan-lilja-offers-some-guidelines/

The linked article is about high powered rifle calibers ONLY.......not .22LR. Lot less powder in a .22LR case.

If you explored the page I linked, there is an article by Dan Lilja that mentions .22LR, where he states a figure of 10,000rds and more for that rimfire. He states he has seen an Anschutz .22LR barrel that was finally losing accuracy at 200,000 rounds.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...barrel-last-dan-lilja-offers-some-guidelines/
Thanks for the info, but I was just throwing my .02 in because that's what I do. Didn't mean any offense to anyone. I know a lot of accuracy shooters have pretty thin skins and can hardly ever take a joke, but hey, we're all different. (Oops, I just did it again!)

Good shootin' to y'all! I mean that!

Yep, heat and friction are the culprits in all "wearing out" of things. Then let's look at drag cars..at 1/4 mile per run, not many miles on the motors before they are toast, i guess....Top Fuel, meh..
friction-melts-iti-8410935.png

3000 rounds in 6 seconds?

Yeah, well, good things those "six seconds" have long pauses between them. Seconds, weeks, even years between shots.

Imagine the heat the would be produced if a gun fired a constant stream of bullets at a rate of 3000 rounds in 6 seconds. That would be 30,000 rounds/ minute. Or about 40 times faster than most full-autos.

Back
Top Bottom